Chapter 35 (Part 2)

_Chapter 35-2~ A Side Like This_

"Oh, if it isn't Iwasaki!"

Almost immediately to my yell, Ryu straightened himself, training a hostile glare my way. As soon as he saw it was me, though, he softened for a brief second.

"Why are you sitting by yourself here?" I rose my voice for emphasis as I took a seat beside him. "Did you go to the hot springs?"

Although I was trying my utmost best to maintain upbeat, his solemnity seemed to suck all my efforts from the air.

"Should I take that as a yes?" I prodded after a pause, not wanting to give up. "I went and it's pretty relaxing. Especially after that walk today... Oh yeah, where did your group go? I went to a couple temples; I bet you did too, right?"

Ryu was quiet towards both my questions. My mind felt like it was spinning as I tried to think up other things to fill the growing silence.

Remembering what he was holding, I gasped and forced a smile. "Oh, I got myself the same drink! Wow, so you like it too? I guess we're kind of similar, huh?"

Ryu paid his drink a small glance and breathed, "Yeah."

My mouth opened, but I couldn't muster any words. As a chill ran though me, I grabbed onto my arms. "Wow, it's so cold out. My hands especially considering the drink's already cold enough..."

"That's nice," Ryu murmured absently.

Peering down at my hands, I sourly frowned at him. Without a second's hesitation, I extended my hands forward and slapped them onto his cheeks. "See!" I practically cried. "They're freezing!"

Almost comically, Ryu recoiled, eyes wide at the sudden touch of mine. His surprise itself was enough to assure me that I had succeeded and a broad smile broke out onto my face.

"Finally, you reacted." Pulling my hands away, I tittered a bit as I touched my own face. "Are they really that cold? You got pretty shocked." I mimicked his reaction.

Just then, there was a crack in Ryu's seriousness. A laugh erupted from his mouth, and it only continued to get louder. He did attempt to stifle it by glancing in the opposite direction but it didn't seem to be working.

Watching this unfold, my eyes had grown wide in awe. It was the first time I'd seen Ryu laugh so much and the way that he was was something I'd never expected from him. Because—it was so cute.

"S-sorry," Ryu breathed between his final chuckles, facing me once again and wiping a tear away. A grin was plastered on his face as he met my gaze, shifting to an even warmer smile as he reached out and ruffled my hair. "Thanks, I needed that."

For some reason, an irregular heartbeat began to ring in my ears. I could only watch as Ryu rose from his seat to his feet. He gulped down what was remaining from his drink before tossing it towards the recycling bin meters away. It easily made it. Peering over his shoulder, Ryu met my eyes again. It successfully allowed for my heart to skip a full beat.

"You should head inside soon, Kikuchi." He awkwardly touched his cheeks I had smacked, grinning. "They were pretty cold."

With a quick wave, Ryu left the area towards the boy lodgings all the while I was stuck paying heed to how hot my face was feeling. My heart's situation wasn't any better. Tilting my head back and at the setting sky, I inhaled deep breaths.

Well, at least... I cheered him up, right?

*  *  *

Everyone gathered by the back forest as soon as the sun completely set the next day. The moment I got there I knew it was going to be unpleasant. The teachers were standing by the front near a huge basket and the students were forced to line up in front of it. Apparently they did this event every year—the test of courage.