Chapter 38

_Chapter 38~ Fruit Punch_

September 3rd: my birthday.

Now, I was never really the celebratory type—in fact, aging another year typically meant I was one year closer to dying—but there were times I'd admit they were nice. Gaining privileges, more freedom, responsibility...

Even now, I could admit that it was one of those times that I was glad they existed.

"Happy birthday, Reina!"

Standing at the threshold of one of the bowling alley booths as I was, only familiar faces stared back at me. Excessive streamers and decorations adorned the surrounding table as well as various balloons and supplies reiterating the gist of this occasion. Even the birthday cake Mom told me to make for myself because I thought I'd be celebrating by myself was propped against the center table, proving her involvement in this all.

         From the corner of my eye, I caught Miyabi extending a finger to get a lick of the frosting but Daichi smacked his hand before he could, resulting in him feigning a kicked puppy.

          I knew Mom and Dad kicking me out of the house for today and the strange call from Erika to meet here seemed a little fishy, but... This occurrence was the least of my wildest imagination.

          "Wow," I drawled, nodding as I took a good look around. "I don't know what to say."

          "How about a thank you?" Grinned Erika, maneuvering her way towards me and engulfing me into a hug. "I could only manage this last minute. I can't believe you didn't tell me your birthday was coming up earlier!"

          "Well," I began as she retreated from the gesture, "it is on a weekend, and I can't comprehend why aging another year is so important to mention to the world."

          "Oh c'mon, don't be a downer," Erika sighed with a gentle nudge to my arm.
On the phone call earlier today I'd asked about last month and that strange prank but she just told me that her 'friend' had answered the phone for her instead and to forget about it.

          It calmed me down for sure. I knew it was a misunderstanding. But something about the way Erika went on about avoiding the subject made me think she might've been lying.

          "Happy birthday, Reina," said Miki, coming up from behind me.

          "Happy birthday." Saika smiled.

          Both girls as well as a few others who tagged along held out their arms for me and unable to withhold the joy swelling up like a balloon inside of me, I accepted and threw hugs their way. Considering I hadn't had the opportunity to talk to these girls prior to Erika's arrival, I was glad that there were sweeter people that I'd ever deemed attending Akelius Academy.

After withdrawing from Chiharu, it was to my surprise to find two more arms extended my way and that they belonged to Miyabi. Craning my neck upwards, I saw that he was wearing a lopsided smile on his face as he beckoned his arms.

"Can I get a hug too?" he requested.

Knitting my eyebrows together, I rhetorically sucked in a breath. "I don't know, can you?"

Miyabi narrowed his eyes a bit in disgust before letting out a defeated huff. "Don't be like those horrible teachers that ruined my childhood and give your friend a hug."

"We're friends?"

Almost comically, Miyabi's jaw fell and he was at an obvious loss of words for a while. Before he could speak, I chuckled and gave him a quick pat on the shoulder.