Chapter 41

_Chapter 41~ Humiliation_

          "I cannot believe you right now, Reina!"

          Gulping down what was remaining of my water bottle, I trained my gaze onto Erika who was frowning at me with such disappointment in her eyes. She was dressed in the colours of white and red—as was I—and hadn't looked exhausted in the least despite the game of volleyball we had just fervently played—and lost.

          Badly, might I add.

          "What?" I said in defence, dropping my arms by my sides. "We may have lost the battle but we can still win the war."

          "We could've won this game if you put in the effort," she hissed at me. "If you just received the ball we could've kept it going and won!"

           "Hey, I don't approve of you pinning the blame on me like this."

           "It's because I can! How could you not touch the ball even once?" Erika nearly exclaimed. "You told me you at least knew how to play!"

          "That's because I do." Defensively, I puffed out my cheeks. "Haikyuu!! has taught me all that I need to know."

          Exasperation evident in her features, Erika merely face-palmed. "This is my fault for asking you to team up with me."

          A small smile spread across my face. "Oh c'mon, relax a little bit. The students participating in the other events have yet to play."

          Though she shook her head in defeat, Erika's dejection didn't seem to pass much. I could only shift my focus onto the surrounding students filling the gymnasium, all dressed in various colours symbolizing their classes.

          Currently, our class, 3-1, was losing to class 3-2 but if we secured the win for the next few games, we were sure to win. Luckily enough, my classmates turned out to be rather athletic this year.

           The annual Sports Festival was typically an event I'd muster up whatever excuse I could to make my parents let me stay at home but this year due to Erika's pleading, I was forced into coming. Surprisingly, she was a little big on the whole sports thing—volleyball being her favourite. And although I hadn't given it much effort during the volleyball game Erika and I had signed up for, I admitted this had to be the first time I could honestly say it'd shaped out to be pretty worth it.

           Seeing two teams of boys raid the gym after all the volleyball nets were taken down, my gaze found itself on Ryu in the distance, dressed in his gym clothes and dribbling a basketball.

           "Well, now that we're done with our event, they're getting ready for the basketball match," Erika noted, peeking downwards at her watch. "What do you want to do? Watch it?"

          I barely even registered Erika's question. Eventually, Erika appeared by my side, looking over my shoulder to catch a glimpse of what I was so fixated on.

          "Hmm~" Her voice infiltrating my nearby ear made me flinch, lurching away from her. When I looked at her, only a mischievous grin danced upon her face.

           My heartbeat which had grown unsteady in my chest made it hard for me to swallow. "Wh-what?"

           "Nothing," she cooed. "You were just so focused on a certain someone I was wondering why you didn't answer my question. So, I take it you want to watch the game?"

           Warmth filled my cheeks before I could stop it. Aware she was trying to hint towards Ryu, embarrassment succeeded in washing over me. I averted my gaze to the floor, and timidly bobbed my head.