[Chapter 4]

-Five years ago-

"Hey babe, wait up!"

The short girl with brown hair ran toward the red-haired girl in the distance.

"How come you can't catch up with me?" the red-haired girl asked.

"If you didn't walk so fast, Abby, I would be able to catch up with you!" the shorter girl protested.

"Oh, please, Dani-el."

___

The two girls sat near the edge of the beach, surrounded by fine sand and the orange horizon across the water in front of them. Their fingers intertwined, hands resting between them.

"Orange. It's like red, but lighter and mixed with yellow," Daniel complimented.

"Are you complimenting my hair?" Abby questioned.

Daniel shrugged. "Maaaybe."

"You really do love colors, don't you?"

"Absolutely, babe."

"Then what's your favorite color?"

As Abby asked that, Daniel fell silent.

"I bet it's all colors, Dani-"

"Red. I love red," Daniel interrupted.

For some reason, Abby's cheeks turned red. "Oh man, this is the worst date ever."

"The worst? This is like the best!" Daniel added, "I love the food, the horizon, the sand, especially the ocean in front of us!"

Abby faced the ocean and watched the calm waves. She adored the soft sounds coming from the water.

"You planned this, Abby. This is the best advanced birthday gift you've ever given me," Daniel leaned closer to Abby and kissed her cheek.

"Thank you, babe."

Abby's cheeks grew crimson. 'Oh my god, first, I didn't really plan this. Second, it wasn't part of the birthday gift, but okay. And third, DANI LOOKS SO GOOD WITH HER LONG HAIR.'

"Y-You're welcome, Dani," Abby rubbed her cheek where Daniel kissed.

Daniel's smile widened, and she held Abby's hand tighter. She leaned on the taller girl's shoulder and closed her eyes.

"After college, I wish we could spend our time together forever and ever," Daniel said softly.

"Like we're married, adopt some kids, and buy our new home," Abby added, "Yeah, it's awesome."

___

It was nighttime. The two packed up their stuff in the blue minivan. Abby sat in the driver's seat, and Daniel sat beside her.

"Hey, Abby."

Abby started the engine. "Hm?"

"Just a 'would you rather' question," Daniel slammed the door shut, "Would you prefer to see nothing, hear nothing, or speak nothing?"

As Abby heard that question, she took a deep breath and adjusted the stick shift. "Mute." Daniel tilted her head. "Why?"

Abby kicked into reverse and slowly turned the steering wheel. "If I were blind, it would be horrible to see complete darkness like my pessimism. If I were deaf, I couldn't hear the voices of the outside world, especially yours..."

The minivan smoothly moved along the busy highway.

"Well, if I'm mute, there's something called sign language and writing down the words I'm trying to say," Abby continued. "Just common sense for me."

Daniel sighed and clenched her shorts.

"I love your honesty, Abby. It feels so bright to hear things about you. So bright. Like cyan and baby blue."

Abby didn't respond. She continued to listen to her partner.

"Sometimes, I've been thinking lately about how death feels. Is it like life, going from darkness to light but the opposite?"

The minivan stopped before the red light, with no signs of upcoming cars behind them.

"Dani," Abby cut in, "You've talked about this before."

"I'm sorry. It's just... my mother..." Abby felt a sense of gloom.

"Abby," Daniel held Abby's hand on the stick shift, "do you love me?"

Whoa, that changes a bit.

Before Abby could finish her sentence, an upcoming car behind them crashed into the back of the minivan, causing them to veer off into the busy intersection.

Abby quickly regained her composure and adjusted the gear shift, ready to reverse the minivan off the intersection.

"We're going to be fine, Dani-!"

Until a speeding truck roared toward the side where Daniel was sitting.

"Abby-!"

Death.

___