[Chapter 5]

Death.

Deep pain throbbed in Abby's head as she slowly opened her eyes, nearly blinded by the bright lights that surrounded her. Confusion filled her mind as she tried to understand what had happened.

What happened?...

Did I...die?

As Abby began to take in her surroundings, she heard a calm beeping sound nearby. A throbbing vibration on her throat made her groan, realizing her voice was hoarse.

"Oh, thank god, she's awake," a male voice sounded above Abby.

The person shook her lightly, causing her eyes to widen in tension.

"Whur...em...I?", Abby asked, her voice growing raspier.

"You're in the ambulance, and we're taking good care of you and your friend," the paramedic replied. Abby noticed his dark blue attire, confirming his role.

Wait...

Friend...

Abby lifted her head and saw a figure with long, messy brown hair, a white bandage wrapped around their head, and bloodstains. Their body faced away from her.

Oh...

Oh no...

"DA-NI!..." Abby screamed, her voice no longer soothing as she called out her lover's nickname. The paramedic placed his hands on her shoulders, trying to calm her down.

"Your friend is in critical condition. She experienced severe brain damage, while your vocal cords are broken."

"NOoo!...", Abby let out her hand, reaching to Daniel's, "Shii...cen't...bii...dead!"

"Calm down-"

"No!-"

After that, Abby felt defeated. Tears streamed down her cheeks as her body slumped onto the bed.

"Da-ni...I'm...s-sorry..."

...

I'm sorry.

---

-Two weeks later-

The day had arrived, the most painful day when Abby would say goodbye to Daniel.

The funeral.

The priest read the gospel, facing the family, friends, and relatives gathered for Daniel. Behind him lay the burial site, adorned with a giant painting portrait Abby had created as a birthday gift.

As the priest spoke, Abby felt a strange presence in the distance, coming from the forest. She glimpsed Daniel standing between the trees, wearing the same outfit as in the coffin, looking at her with pity-filled eyes.

Abby squinted, trying to dismiss the illusion. But Daniel turned and disappeared into the forest.

"Abigail," the priest addressed Abby, who was gazing into the forest, "I believe you saw someone in the forest, didn't you?"

Abby lowered her head, consumed by sorrow.

"We won't mind if you follow them into the forest," the priest continued. "Go ahead, Abigail."

Abby turned and saw Daniel's father nodding. She quickly shifted her gaze back to the forest, where Daniel had vanished, and ran.

--

Abby ran through the forest, searching for Daniel.

Dani...

I know you're here...

Her eyes and throat throbbed with pain.

Please forgive me...

She pushed herself forward, reaching a clearing at the center of the forest.

Suddenly, Abby tripped, falling to the ground. Tears streamed down her face as she rested her head on her arms, crying out in agony and guilt.

"I'm sorry, Dani... I'm so sorry... This is all my fault... I..."

Abby sobbed uncontrollably.

"... I let you die..."

Her fists clenched tightly.

"I'm... I'm the worst..."

Then she heard the sound of leaves crunching beneath someone's feet.

"Abby...please don't say that..."

Abby slowly raised her head, drawn by the soft, calm voice.

"And it's not your fault either."

And there, at the center of the clearing, she saw a familiar face.

Daniel. Standing before her, looking down.

"Babe, you're so blue. Why are you weeping?"

S-She can talk to me?

"D-Dani..." Abby stammered, "My voice is broken. How can you hear me?"

Daniel shrugged. "Really? In my perspective, you open your mouth and speak. Your voice is very different now, like from red to cerulean."

Abby tilted her head, "Dani...are you...really you?"

"Of course! Who knows when Pa is on blue. Well, every time from now on."

No...

You can't be here...

You've died, Dani...

How can you be still talking to me and I'm talking to you?