[Chapter 10]

"Babe!"

"Ahh!", Abby sprung awake, she found herself sitting on the soft grass in the center of the forest. She stroke her red hair slowly and felt the small twigs and leaves attached around the strands.

Thirteen years ago... the same place where I stayed with Dani for a long time...

Five years ago... the same place where I met Dani during her funeral...

Wait...

"Abby!", a voice beside her yelled. She turns around and saw Daniel with a concerned expression.

What my parents told me...I must, get rid of this awful illusion I had...in a slow way...

"Dani...", Abby closed her eyes, "What...are you?"

Daniel went confused, she has no idea what Abby is talking about.

"I'm your girlfriend, babe. The one and only."

No. Abby nods slowly, squinting around the forest. Everything has a slightly eerie gloom to it, slightly off. She shivers, looking back at Daniel, who-who isn't who she's supposed to look like.

"You're not quite what you should be," Abby says without thinking.

Daniel stiffens, and Abby thinks she's going to yell again, but Daniel just squeezes Abby's hand.

"That's okay," she whispers, "as long as you remember me."

Abby squeezes back.

They stood and walk around the forest in the thick silence, all green-orange. Abby can sort of taste it.

"What if this isn't real?" Abby says suddenly.

Daniel frowns. "In what way?"

"In the way, it's all in my mind," Abby clarifies. Daniel cocks her head.

"Well, of course, it's all in your mind," she says, and Abby blinks.

"What?"

"This is all in your mind," Daniel says, gesturing. "But that doesn't mean it's not real."

Abby sighs. "Yes, but what if all this-" she gestures around, "is only in my mind?"

Daniel shrugs. "Then it would still be real, wouldn't it? If you can see it if you can feel it, why wouldn't it be real?"

"I- I don't know," Abby says, frowning. "Maybe because it isn't real for anyone else."

"So?"

"So, maybe you're not real."

Daniel freezes, looking at Abby. "What?"

"Maybe you're not real," Abby repeats.

Daniel is shaking her head. "No, don't say that."

"I figured that out myself," Abby says. "My parents- I dreamed about them last night."

"Don't listen to them," Daniel says firmly, staring into Abby's eyes. "Don't listen. You can see me, right? Hear me?" She squeezes Abby's hand. "Feel me?"

"Hallucination?" Abby offers.

"One that kisses you?" Daniel retorts.

Abby shakes Daniel's hand off in favor of burying her head in her hands.

"Babe, I'm real," Daniel snaps. "Do you hear me?"

"Let me think!" Abby yells back.

"I told you to remember me!" Daniel growls. "Did you think that up yourself? Am I really just your imagination? Or an imaginary girlfriend?"

"Shut up!" Abby screams, hands over her ears. "Shut up, shut up, shut up!"

"Listen to me!"

"You're not real!"

"Yes, I am!"

"You're not real!"

"I am! Abby, listen-"

"Not real, not real, not real-"

And then Daniel backhands her across the face.

They both freeze.

"Did- did you just-"

"Abby," Daniel gasps out. "Babe, I'm so sorry, I didn't-"

"Get away from me."

"Oh, babe, I'm so-"

"Leave me alone!" Abby screams. "Get away from me!"

"Abby, please, I'm sorry!"

"Stay away!" she shrieks, running towards her home.

"Abby!"

Abby screams, tears running down her cheeks. She runs into the light of her house, bangs on the door, then kicks back.

She was still sobbing as she dashes into her living room. She collapses on her couch, not even bothering with her most uncomfortable position.

She burrows under the blankets, curls up, and falls asleep.

---

Abby opened her eyes and lazily grabbed her wall clock that falls from the great impact on closing the main door. It was almost 11 in the evening.

She suddenly remembered what happened earlier this day.

And it wasn't that good.

She stood up and rubbed her eyes. She noticed one of her picture frames in the living room was utterly different. Abby walked closer to one of her picture frames and noticed that in the picture, she was standing alone with a huge smile. Along with the beautiful background of the mountain.

That picture...Dani was supposed to there...with me.

She flipped the picture and saw the handwritten date.

The picture was taken after one year of Abby's graduation and two years of Daniel's death.

No.

Abby placed the picture back. She looks around in the living room where she and Daniel are in the framed photographs. All of the pictures, the pictures after Daniel's death, are just Abby, standing and smiling alone.

Dani was in the pictures. She posed, smile, and messes me while taking a picture.

She placed her hands on her mouth and tears silently flow down her cheeks as she's looking at the large picture, where she was sitting on the big rock, with a big smile. However, Daniel was supposed to be standing beside her, but she's no longer there.

No, no, no, no...

This must be a dream.

A worst, twisted dream.

...

I was alone...

For the whole time.