Chapter 1

Chapter(s): Prologue & 1
[Word Count: 175 words + 1150 words]
Song: Heat of the Summer, Young the Giant

I SAT UNEASILY in my chair, with my backpack on the desk, tapping my right foot and fingers, the four rings clashing against the plastic of the desk impatiently as I counted the seconds for the bell to ring inside my head. It wasn't an ordinary wait for the bell for class to be dismissed to go home and wait for the next day kind of deal, it was the wait for summer vacation to start and it has always been long awaited by me since I was a young girl. I'd normally wait by the door the last five minutes of school, but today, it felt rather peculiar. I felt like I could wait for another period, day, or even year. This year, I didn't want to leave school to escape my perfect, well-put together, easy, everyday routine.

   My best girl friend, Audie looked at me and winked from by the door as the class began counting down the last thirty seconds of school

My best girl friend, Audie looked at me and winked from by the door as the class began counting down the last thirty seconds of school. They were loud and boisterous and all of them were by their friends, laughing and telling each other their plans for the long, three month vacation before universities started around the country. The majority of the class was standing by the door and my teacher, Mr. Louis, stood behind them anxiously with all of his belongings, pushing and shoving to get to the front so he could leave before everyone else. Everyone was excited for the start of summer vacation whilst I, I was the only exception because I would rather stay here, in the busy, dirty city, than in the quiet, clean countryside with my best friend in the whole wide world, Luke.

When the bell rang, I got up, grabbing my backpack, and casually walking to the door, where Audie still waited for me. She punched my arm and pulled me over to her locker with a slight giggle, leaving me staring at her.

Audie was a tall, curvy girl with a lot of athletic potential and hair the colour of the sun. In fact, she was on each and every one of our school's teams and was the MVP of each. Her eyes are the colour of a milk chocolate candy bar and her skin the colour of vanilla ice cream. I was often jealous of her, especially because of her personality. Audie's very loving and out-going, not to mention popular. She makes everyone laugh, even participate in her shenanigans, like pranking the teachers. Everyone loves her, even I, who's known her since she moved to Sydney from London and was her first friend here. Besides that, she was very curvy (like I said), and if she wasn't wearing just a pair of black skinny jeans, a varsity shirt, and her suede Nike sneakers, I'm sure she'd bring something absolutely audacious, like a low cut pencil dress.

"Oh Els! Aren't you excited? It's finally summer!" Audie squealed with joy.

I shrugged my shoulders, debating if I should even answer that. "I am." I said, not wanting to leave her hanging.

"Well, wipe that party-pooper face off and put on your 'summer vacay' face 'cause schools out for the summa!" She said in a sing-song voice. I only looked at her and turned around, but, she grabbed me in the act of it. "Ellie Isaac, such in a rush?"