Chapter 2

Chapter(s): Chapter 1
[Word count: 1145]
Song: The Mother We Share, CHVRCHES

WE GOT HOME fast from the mall because like I told him, I didn't need an hour to pick clothes, especially since I despised shopping, so shopping for me was fairly quick. I only grabbed a few pairs of jeans and a couple flannels, not to mention new underwear and bras and a new swimsuit for the summer. Now, all I had to do when I got home was finish packing my bags. I've been leaving it for last minute and as always, I needed extra time to finish everything. But, that would also buy me some much needed time too.

I hadn't even gotten past the front door when I spotted my overworked Mum thrown on the divan, in her work clothes still, fast asleep. My mum works hard to maintain my brother and I, but, these long shifts kill her so much and it's painful to watch who she's become. It's gotten to the point where her dirty blond hair has turned greyish and it's taken the green out of her eyes and replaced them with a light, grey tint. Her work slacks have become part of her too. My brother Beau pulled me back before I could even step into the living room.

   He looked at me and gestured to my Mum with his head. I didn't even understand what he meant—I'm horrible at charades—but, I refused to make a sound and disturb the peaceful silence Mum was sleeping in, so, I nodded in reply. The dirty-blonde boy who was my brother grabbed a few of my bags and helped me inside the house quietly. As we stepped closer to the staircase, Mum shifted a bit and because she was so close to the edge of her seat, she, then, fell off the divan, hitting the floor with a loud boom! before she was even able to process everything. I immediately dropped my bags where I was standing and went to help her up off of the house's hardwood floors. It was all I could do because if I stood there, watching her get grunt in pain, well, let's just say it will make me seem like a horrible daughter, which I know I'm not, and it's my job as a daughter to help my needy Mum, right?

"Mum, are you alright?" I asked as she got up with my help.

She sighed, rubbing her eyes drowsily, trying to wake herself because, by the looks of it, the fall didn't wake her up completely. "Yeah Ellie. My bum is a little sore due to the fall but I'll be alright. I'm okay." Mum chuckled and then kissed my head. "Did you use the money I gave Beau to give you?" Mum said as she sat down on the divan.

I reached into my pocket and took out $75, handing them back to her. "That was a lot, Mum. I used only twenty-five and then used my own money." I sat beside her.

Mum rejected it and swatted my hand away. "No, no, no sweetie. Since you didn't use all of it, save it for in case of an emergency while you're at Liz's."

I tilted my head and looked into my Mum's grey eyes. She really did want me to have it but I couldn't accept it. My Mum was beautiful, despite all her flaws. Her dirty-blond/grey mix of hair put well together in a bun, the greyish green eyes that still had light in them, even through all her silent pain, even her skin, which still looked good and without any wrinkles yet. Mum was still busty and had amazing legs, which, despite his death, belong to my dad, not even us, who are her children.

"Are you sure, Mum? That's a lot."

"It's fine, Ellie. Take it. Beau." She looked at my brother. "Thanks for your help, love."

Beau laughed as he took a seat on the love seat. "Anytime Mum." He looked at me. "Finish packing Ellie. Liz will be here in about an hour."

"An hour?" I asked, pretty sure I was about to lose my mind. "Did you just say she would be here in an hour?"

"Yeah. She said five." Mum answered back with a smile, completely unaware that both she and my older brother were about to give me a panic attack or put me in cardiac arrest. To be honest, either or would be nice in this situation.