Prologue

{Two Months Ago}

"I'm gonna get you Alex!" I yelled before she ran into mom and dads room.

The only reason why I'm chasing her is because she stole a feather from my wings. That feather could save so many lives including mine.

"Alex could you please-"

"Surprise!" A lot of people yelled including my family when I walked in only to have decorations everywhere and a huge cake.

"Whats all this for?" I asked confused. It wasn't our birthdays so there wasn't anything to celebrate.

"You get to be the next king unless you don't want the position. I know when I was your age I didn't want to be king and I was forced so if you dont want to say something now cause then your sister could be queen and marry a king to rule," my father said with a smile.

"Axton don't pressure him honey I'm sure Alex would love to be a queen," my mom said to my father kindly.

"Yeah Aj I would so if you dont want this I'll take it," Alex said seriously.

"No I accept its just a lot to take in," I said before everyone cheered and handed me food and drinks.

As everyone was conversing and eating, I just watched. "Hey Axton can I talk to you for a minute?" Alice one of my best friends asked me.

"Yeah sure," I said as we left the room.

"So at my palace my sister is having a birthday party and I was hoping you could come?" she asked shyly.

"Yeah I would love to be there," I said before Alex came out with a guy kissing her neck.

"Parker stop it," she laughed. Thats been her boyfriend for a year now and even though she could do so much better and they argue all the time, there still together.

"I'll see you later," Alice said before kissing me on the cheek and heading back inside the room.

"She totally has a crush on you," Alex said with a smirk.

"No she doesn't were just friends," I said in defense. She can't have a crush on me cause no one even looks at me like I'm attractive.

"Whatever doofus you'll see," Alex teased.

"Have fun getting pregnant at seventeen," I mocked back.

"Mom got pregnant at seventeen idiot," she said back.

"Yeah but that doesn't mean it was a good thing," I said before going back into the room.

"Hey Axton come here," my dad called me.

"Yeah dad?" I asked as he wanted to talk to me privately.

"When you become king it will be a lot of responsibility. Hopefully you won't have to go through what I went through at your age with having to kill both your parents and all your siblings and friends. I'm sure you won't have that problem though," he said while patting my shoulder.

"You killed all those people?" I asked confused.

"Yep it had to be done. That's the most important part of being a king. You can't be afraid to do what has to be done. As long as it's for good and you're saving the kingdom, all is well," he said before I realized what I'm getting myself into.

"So are you willing to do that?" He asked seriously.

"I've never been more ready," I said nervously half meaning it.

"Good then we will have the carnation set for ten months from now. You have a lot to learn," he said before walking off.