Just Friends

Sunday night, after I dropped off Cassius, I returned to my usual cycle of work. I worked my night job, slept, worked my day job, repeat. It was hard to get time in to talk to Zayn.

He had actually remembered to text me the day after our conversation on the phone. It was so weird; I knew who I was talking to, but I felt like I could just tell him anything. Maybe because I couldn't see his face, so it was easier to tell him about myself and speak my mind.

Whatever the case, I found myself wishing I could talk to him all day. He would text me often, even though I'm pretty sure he was busy. At least he didn't have to work.

Our text conversation for the days after the phone call were limited, as I said, but they made my days more bearable. I didn't feel as lonely as usual; in fact, I felt more perky and energetic.

I was excited for Wednesday, hoping that I could FaceTime him successfully before picking up my son.

As our texts progressed, I could feel myself getting attached to him.
I know it's a bad idea, it's a miracle we're even friends, so I shouldn't hope for more.

But he always says the right things. He makes me feel special. In a way he reminds me of Jesse, maybe that's why I like him.

I know he has Perrie, though. She hasn't really come up in our conversations, but I'm reminded of their relationship when I go on Twitter or see celebrity gossip.

In a way I feel guilty for even talking to him when he has a girlfriend, but if he has no problem with it then I don't either.

We're just friends, I keep thinking to myself. Whether I want to be more or not, we are friends; I'm content with that thought.

After my night shift is over I get home and it's 3:45 am. It's Wednesday, so I finally have a day off, and all I want to do is talk to Zayn. The thought of him keeps me awake, that and the cold loneliness of my apartment.

It's morning where he is so I decide to surprise him. I pull out my phone and dial him up on FaceTime.

He answers and my heart leaps at the sight of his grin.

"Hey, there," he says.

"Hi," I smile back.

"What are you doing up so late? Shouldn't you be asleep?" He asks, pretending to be stern.

"Well, I mean, if you don't want to talk to me that's fine..." My voice trails off.

"Hey, hey, hey! I didn't say that," he smiles again.

He looks adorable. It doesn't look like he showered yet, since his hair is a little disheveled. He's wearing a muscle shirt and I begin to think that morning Zayn might be the death of me.

"Checking me out, are ya?" He smirks, making my cheeks hot.

"As if," I roll my eyes.

He laughs before continuing, "What are you up to?"

"Nothing, just got home from work. I'm not very tired yet," I say.

He asks about work and I tell him about the work cycle these past few days. It's so much easier to talk to him like this, I enjoy it a lot more than texting that's for sure.

Even seeing him through FaceTime doesn't make me nervous. Okay, well the first time he called me I was, but when I dialed him and we started talking, I felt so comfortable. 

As time wore on, I grew sleepy and he noticed; he told me to get some rest since I had to pick up Cassius at 11. It was almost seven when I got into bed and I groaned knowing that I could only sleep for about 3 hours.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

-Zayn's POV-

I hoped Alexis would wake up in time to pick up her son; I felt bad for keeping her up so long but she didn't seem to mind. I'm actually glad because we had a pretty good conversation, I even heard her snort by accident when she was laughing. I thought it was adorable, but her face was crimson because she was so embarrassed.

I longed to see her in person, but I was glad I at least got to talk to her. I told her we could FaceTime again soon, but I wasn't sure if she would since her son would be there. 

After we got off FaceTime, I realized I had plans to see Perrie, nothing big just lunch at some hip restaurant. I groaned as I got up and showered. Once I was ready, I grabbed my keys and phone and was out the door; as lonely as I was at home, I was glad Perrie had been busy. We hadn't really spent time together, but that was fine with me. Going out on dates got a bit annoying, it's basically a show for the public to gossip about and I began to really dread it altogether.

When I got to the restaurant to meet Perrie, I didn't see her anywhere so I got a table and waited. She was late, but I didn't mind; I scrolled through my phone and opened the conversation with Alexis.

Hey there you better be sleeping! Had a nice time chatting .xx

I sent the message and looked up in time to see Perrie approaching. I stood up to hug her and we smiled, taking each other in. We sat and ordered, not really saying much.

"So how's the press stuff going?" I asked, vaguely remembering the reason she'd been away.

"It's good," she smiled. "How's your holiday? Not too lonely are ya?"

I shook my head, thinking of Alexis.

The remainder of our conversation consisted of more uncomfortable small talk and on my way home I thought more and more about Alexis.

I knew I was crushing on her more than I previously thought. I didn't know how to go about this; she was in America... and she had a child. That latter didn't really faze me much, but the distance between us was what brought me down.

What did she even see me as? I thought.

I know she doesn't have a boyfriend, but was she looking for something at all? 

Then the biggest problem came to mind: Perrie.

There was so much I needed to say to Alexis, and soon.