8. I've Missed These Dorks

(oml this chapter is late i'm so sorry i lost track of time (i blame the summer holidays) and i've got into a super huge writing rut) (anyway here's the chapter  ^_^)

"Dad?" I say into my phone.

"Y'ello." Dad sighs on the other end of the line. "Are they out yet?"

"Hey, yeah they're here. We're just having coffee." I tell him.

"Alright, I guess I'll pick you lot up then." He sighs.

"You can hold off for a bit if you're busy...?" I question. He told me that he was just gonna get a few hunting supplies, but knowing him he probably got himself into trouble on the way.

"No, no, it's fine." I hear the slam of a car door. "See you in about 15 minutes."

"'Kay, see you!" I smile at my phone as I pull it from my ear and press the red button.

"How is Bobby? What's he been up to lately?" Dan, who's sat to the right of me on the circular metal table we're sat on, asks me.

Either the floor's not level or the table is wonky as it keeps wobbling every time one of us leans on it. It's beginning to get on my nerves.

"He's okay, I guess. Nothing much has changed." I grab a napkin and fold it up while I talk. "He's still out of town a lot and, if not, then he's with me working on the cars in the yard."

I wedge the napkin under the leg of the table and it seems to have stopped the wobble, for now, at least. I sigh happily and take a gulp of my coffee.

"I can't wait to meet your friends! They seem quite cool." Phil mentions.

I snort and coffee dribbles out from my mouth as Dan and Phil laugh. I quickly take another napkin and wipe my mouth.

"Moosepuppy and Batman? Cool? Really?" I scoff. "I mean, sure, they're not complete losers, but cool's going a bit too far."

Dan and Phil are trying, and failing, to stop laughing.

"You sure have a lot of angst towards them, Anna. Perhaps you'd better chill. You said it yourself yesterday, you barely know them." Dan advises me.

Phil agrees with him. "Yeah. You know, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover."

"Oh, I know. If I'd've done that, I probably wouldn't'a read your book. Your faces on the cover are quite off putting." I say cheekily before taking another sip of my coffee.

"Hey! You loved TABINOF (not #spon but oml reAD IT and also holy cow they're making another book - i'm not okay) and you know it." Phil says, lightly punching my left arm.

I roll my eyes. "You're right, I did." I sigh, knowing that I shouldn't lie to them about their book. It was very amusing. I still find it amazing how I could hear them talking, even though it was on paper. "Anyway, trust you two to side together. When you two get married, promise you'll let me be your best woman." I plead, holding out my pinky in the middle of the table.

Dan glares at me. "Shut up." He smirks. "But, yes, of course you'll be my best woman at my wedding." He pauses taking a sip of his coffee. "I just won't marry Phil."

"Hey, I thought I was gonna be your best man!" Phil replies in shock.

Dan turns to face Phil. "Yeah, you will be. I can have a best man and a best woman, right? Like, best 'people'. That's not against the rules, is it?" Dan questions, putting 'people' in air quotes.

Phil and I smile wide. "Okay. And you two are gonna be my best 'people' too." Phil shines.

"Wow, you're already that far into the relationship with Emily, huh?" I say, raising my eyebrows.