I Can Remember

I remember our first date like it was yesterday. I'm sure that's a very cliché thing for people in love to say, I'm sure you're rolling your eyes because you think this is some bubble gum pop romance about a guy and a girl who met and fell in love and lived happily ever after. But it's not. My story, the one my grandkids will remember me for, is not a romance. My life, my existence, isn't defined by the love of my life... but the love of my life defined what my story really is to me.

It was about six years ago now, which seems so long ago and yet not long enough ago. The main plot of my life had taken a little detour and I was having what normal people would call a 'vacation'. Which entailed not getting off the couch even if the remote was on the other side of the room. I slept, which might sound odd but it was pure heaven to be able to get more than four hours of sleep a night, and I ate. I didn't even drink that much at the time, Sammy telling me that I was heading down a dangerous road. For once I listened and I thank him about once a week for the advice.

At the time I was just concentrating on patching up my relationship with Sammy. We would binge some shows, have late night movie marathons, we even had a cookout outside the bunker door. It was nice, relaxing, and for once I didn't feel the weight of humanity resting on my shoulders. I think it was that carefree feeling suddenly exploding in me that I asked Cas to dinner.

I can remember that I really didn't think much of it. I was thinking us two guys could hit the town and maybe cause some trouble. Just two normal guys headin' out for drinks after a long shift at a mundane desk job.

I can remember the exact sight of him when he walked into the living room. The first thing I can tell you is that his hair was combed. And not by his fingers, by an actual honest-to-God comb. It was neat to the point that it put my teeth a little on edge. Then there was his outfit.... I didn't even know the angel owned anything other than the trenchcoat and tie. Those jeans... the way they fit against all his curves... I still have some steamy dreams about them. And that short-sleeved deep green button up just about made my jaw unhinge from my skull. I was staring at an angel.

I can remember the way he kept gravitating closer to me on our way to the garage to get into Baby. It was like he was drawn to me and I couldn't help but smile to myself at the time. Maybe I didn't exactly know it then but I thrived off of the way Cas seemed to make me feel like I was the best thing that ever happened in Creation.

I can remember him humming along to one of my favorite songs on the way to the resturaunt.

I can remember him asking me if he was over dressed.

I can remember looking over at him and thinking that I never wanted someone else to be there, except Sammy but obviously at the time I was thinking romantically. Which should've shocked me, you know? I should've been well aware that I was practically envisioning a Lifetime movie with this man and our love and our future together. But all I can remember from that moment was the way my heart seemed to push a smile on my lips before my mind quite caught up with it.

I can remember opening the door for him and him asking me again if he looked alright.

I can remember the amount of times I smiled over that table as I listened to him talk. It was once, I never stopped.

I can't remember the taste of the food, but I can remember his blue eyes never leaving mine for a second as we bullshitted and laughed.

I can remember the feeling of forgetting about the hunts, the monsters, the demons, and the apocalypses.

I can remember the feel of his fingers on my knuckles as he shyly asked without words if we could hold hands.

I can remember the first time his fingers meshed with mine and how complete I felt to the depth of my soul.

I can remember taking him home after paying the bill and wishing that the resturaunt hadn't been closing.

I can remember kissing his cheek as I left him at his bedroom door, and thinking that I was going to crave those kisses even more than I used to crave alcohol.

I can remember lying in bed that night knowing that it was the start of something.

When people ask me about how Cas and I met I never tell them of the barn, or the angel blade, or the handprint that used to be on my arm. I tell them that I sat down for dinner and listened, and he listened to me. I know its lame, but it's the truth.

When I think of our life together I don't think about heaven, or hell, or hunts, or purgatory. I think about our first date, and our second, and our third. I think about the man I fell in love with and how he fell in love with the man I am. Our love story isn't grand or noteworthy. To me our love... our life together... is simply the story of mine that will forever remain ours.