Chapter 1: Ski Lodge

"You know what," I begin. We were all sitting in the Ski Lodge lobby with Evan, Lucas, Riley, Josh, Smackle and Farkle. We were playing who belongs with who game. Cliche as usual. 

"I wanna talk to you," I say. Everyone glances at Lucas then at me but then I point at Josh. I quickly stand up and grab Josh's hand, pulling him to the window. 

"Maya," Josh says with a sigh.

"You seem to know more than I do," I snap at him. I was tired of feeling like I was missing something, like a piece to a puzzle.

"I'm a lot younger than my brothers and sisters," Josh begins. 

"So they won't have a relationship with you either?" I joke. He flashes me a soft smile which is followed my an adorable eye roll. 

"No, but over the years I've gotten pretty good at observing people," Josh says.

"What do you know about me?" I ask him.

"Are you sure? Even if it's bad for me?" Josh asks. My head says no but my heart says yes. I take a deep breath in and nod my head yes.  "You are the greatest friend anybody can ever have-"

"No Riley is," I interrupt. She is though. How could she not be? She's like the ray of sunshine on a cloudy day or the bright star on a cloudy night.

"Maybe it's because your dad left, or you knew felt that love, but you're the best friend anybody can have," Josh adds. I felt a sharp pain in my heart as I come to a realization that he's serious. 

"Say that again," I mutter.

"You didn't understand it?" He asks.

"No, no I understood it," I answer. "Say it again, sat it a million times, say it in French."

"You heard me the first time," Josh says with a soft tone.

"I did, but you are wrong Josh. It's Riley who is the greatest friend you can ever have," I say.

"Yeah, but I have noticed something else about you Maya," Josh begins. "It's that you cared for Riley so long, as soon as she begins to care about some else-"

"Lucas," I interrupt again.

"You need to see if she was safe with him," Josh begins. I narrow my eyebrows, he isn't making sense right now, but I guess I have to keep listening.

"How could I possibly do that?" I exclaim.

"You lost yourself so you could become like her. Then you got to know him like she knew him," Josh says.

"So I was protecting her?" I ask him.

"She would do the same for you," Josh answers.

"She did, she brought me back," I mutter.

"Now that your Maya again?" He asks me.

"I don't like Lucas like that," I answer him. "Josh why is this bad for you?" I ask him. I broke eye contact for a few moments and noticed he hasn't let go of my hand. I quickly looked over to Josh to see his response.

"That it isn't Lucas who you like? You remember who you are?" Josh asks me.

"That conversation is important to any relationship. You and I just had a pretty awesome, amazing one?" I ask Josh. His face was bright red as he looked away. Nearly a whole year has gone by since Josh and I have seen a each other.