Chapter 3: Pain Makes You Stronger

Maya's POV

I open my eyes and see darkness. That's all I could see. I also felt this weird stickiness on my mouth. That must be tape what else could it be. My hands and legs were really stiff and I couldn't move them. But I could feel rope and a tree on my hands. I have been kidnapped.

"She is awake!" Says a voice.

"Give her a brain injury," Says a different voice. "It'll out her in a coma, then we won't have to feed her or anything, her brain will do the rest."

"But you can't bring a person out of a coma, not even doctors can," says voice one.

"So? That will be the police job, if they ever find her," says voice two. That's when sound disappeared and everything went dark.

Riley's POV

"Riley, sweetie you need to eat," my mother says. I'm not hungry at all. I just want to sit in the bay window and sing.

"Why is she singing?" I hear Auggie ask.

"That's how Maya and I first met. She climbed right int the bay window as soon she heard Singing," I tell him. My voice was croaky and shaky. I haven't spoke to anyone since the police station two days ago.

"So I'm going to sing, and maybe she'll-" I could feel the water works coming again. My mom walks over and sits next to me. She pulls my into a hug, petting my hair.

"It's ok Riley," I hear her whisper. No. It's not okay. My best friend in the whole wide world, my sister, is missing.

"I miss her," I mutter.

"So do I," says two voices. I look up and see Lucas and Josh standing in the hallway.

"I'll let you three talk, Farkle is on his way with Smackle and Zay," My mom says. She walks back out into the living room. It must be hard on her, not k owing who to comfort the most. Shawn and Katy, or me.

"They'll find her Riley," Lucas tell me. He had his arm around my shoulder. I looked over at Josh and his reaction wasn't too clear. It looked like he mouthed, 'don't make any promises you can't keep' but I don't care.

"You need to eat, both of you," says Farkle as he enters. He was pointing to just Josh and I.

"Your mom told us everything, how you and Josh are the only ones who aren't eating. Even Katy and Shawn are, not much but still are," says Zay. Farkle, Zay, and Smackle all came inside my room. Farkle sat on the bay window while Smackle and Zay sat on the ground.

"Why aren't you eating?" Lucas asks Josh and I.

"I don't know," we both mumble.

"When the mind goes into a depression sometimes the person won't care for anything, or anyone else expect for the thing that's causing the sadness," says Smackle.

"Really?" I ask her.

"No. But the reason you two aren't eating is because your depressed," Smackle exclaims.

"Oh," Josh says.

"Wait why are you depressed?" Lucas asks Josh. He doesn't know does he? He doesn't know about the whole long game thing.

"I care about Maya a lot, I don't want anything bad happening to her," Josh says.

"Since when?" Says a new voice. It was Shawn. He must have been listening the whole time. He walks into my room and sits on the edge of my bed. He doesn't know either. I looked over at his face, it was pale and red around the eyes. He must have been crying too.