Chapter 6: Adeline

Maya's POV

"I love the woods outside of New York City," says a voice.

"So do I, are you hungry?" says the same voice. Why can't I process the voice? It doesn't make any sense.

"Let's go get some food," I hear.

"What about the girls?" Girls? There is another person hear? I know it's not Riley because they let her go. So who else is it?

"They'll be fine. Besides Adeline went missing two years ago and she is fifthteen now. People gave up on her," says a voice. No, that can't be possible. Why would they do that to a thirteen year old girl? What about her parents? It was silent for a moment, I didn't hear them walk away but that may be because of my brain.

"Maya is it?" says a different voice. That's good, my brain is strong enough to tell male and female voices apart. "I'm Adeline. I'm in a tree, you're in a coma. I don't know if you can hear me or not but I need to tell you something. They will find you because I left a clue. I switched out the sweatshirts." Then it hits me, I always mark my clothes with the letter M.

"I also know what you are thinking, well if you can think. How did I switch out the sweatshirts? How did I even know you marked it with a M? I found a way to untie myself, looked at your sweatshirt and changed it with mine. Yes you and I have the same sweatshirt expect I don't mark mine," Adeline says. Why hasn't she run free then? If I wasn't in a coma and was untied I would run.

"I'm also sorry for doing this," I hear Adeline say. For what?

Riley's POV

"Riley time for school," I hear my mother yell. I didn't go to bed till one, Josh and I had figured out that Maya is alive last night thanks to a sweatshirt. Now I have real hope. After school, Josh and I are going to run to the police station prove Maya is alive. Hopefully Farkle and Zay will come. Maybe even Lucas. I quickly get out of bed and change into skinny jeans and a blue shirt that says rainbow on it.

"This is time Maya would walk through the door and we would go to school," I mumble as I walk into the living room.

"I know, but we have to keep living our lives Riley," My father says.

"I know," I mutter. I follow my dad right out the door. We took the subway instead of his car to avoid traffic.

^_^_^

I glance over to Maya's empty spot that Farkle was sitting beside. He glanced over at me and mouthed don't give up.

"Guys, we have a new student today," my father says. Everybody glances to the front of the room where a girl our age was standing. Her hair was almost white as snow, so was her skin. She looked scared but happy to be here.

"Hi, I'm Adeline Smi-" The girl freezers for a moment then takes a breath. "Adeline Shaffer from Maine." I don't believe that.

"Take a seat," My father says. "I want all of you to make sure Adeline feels welcomed."

Adeline flashes a fake smile and walks over to Maya's seat. She looks at me then at the seat. There was another seat she could have sat at but nope she chose Maya's.