Chapter Seven

I let him have his moment for a while.

I listened to his soft and helpless cry. I wished I could hug him, I wished I could tell him that everything would be okay. But even I'm not sure whether it will be. I swallowed the terrible lump that was rising in my throat and pretended I wasn't affected by this.

I didn't want to waste precious time, but at the same time, I also didn't want to leave him. So to solve my problem, I quietly made my way out the bathroom door and picked up my laboratory manual in Biology. I reviewed the pages we had tackled a few hours ago and allowed Jasper to slowly release the emotions he's been keeping to himself this whole time.

I may be reviewing, but every time he spoke to me, I was there to put my book down and listen.

"I'm sorry if I got so emotional." He said as the tears lighten.

"You're sorry? Oh come on, you have all the reason to be sad. Just cry the resentments that you have bottled in you. Cry until there's nothing left."

I heard him sigh, "I think I've been crying for a long time. Some days I feel numb, but the others are exactly like this."

"But that was different," I closed the book, "You had no one there for you to listen. But now you have me."

If I could see him right now, I really do hope he was smiling. "Thank you, Eleanor. I have no idea how to repay you."

I shook my head, "Repay me? I haven't done anything yet. I haven't got you out of there."

"Being here already means a lot."

I felt my heart grow heavy when he said it. It's been a long time since I heard someone say something and actually meant it. The sincerity in his voice was enough to make an impact on me. I sort of felt bad that I didn't know exactly how to respond to it. I gripped my lab manual tighter and thought of a transition to our conversation,

"Want to change the topic? I mean, we could talk less about you and more about me." I joked, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Oh well I'd very much like that." He finally let out a giggle. A giggle that just seconds ago, felt so nonexistent.

"Sike! You first. Complete name please." I teased.

"But it's your turn!"

"Oh come on! We'll take turns! Go on,"

I couldn't see him obviously, but I could feel him playfully rolling his eyes at me before he answered, "Fine. I'm Jasper Lockwood, nice to meet you uhm—"

He waited for a continuation. "—Eleanor Vega." I cordially continued for him. "Now that's a fancy last name now, Mr. Lockwood?"

"Told you my dick dad was rich. He must be having the time of his life having us cancelled out." His voice returned to bitterness.

"—No no no lad! Shhh," I hushed him, "Let's put the negativity to a halt, shall we?" I said in a fake British accent.

"Oh forgive me, madame," He teased back with a worse one. The accent was so bad and so fake that I couldn't help but crack up. "Hey!" He called my attention when he noticed my laughter was getting out of hand.

"Sorry, sorry!" I cooled down, when in reality, I was just sucking in my laughter. "Your last name sounds foreign. I'm assuming you're half Filipino and half something else?"

"Indeed, I am half something."

"Half what?"

"British."

I paused for a while then started cracking up again when I processed it. British? Are you kidding me??? I think I just beat him in his own accent. "You're British but I'm still able to do a better accent than you!" I teased in between laughs. "I mean, I know you have some accent going on as well, but I wouldn't think it was British." With all honesty though.