Fidelity

*Brooke P.O.V*

Waiting for my shift to end was almost unbearable. Then finally at eight p.m. the clock struck the hour. I was free to go. With much haste, I head to the back and throw my apron on the rack.

"Where you off to so fast?" Blake asks.

"I just really have to go!" I yell to him as I run back out.

As I open the door and the cold air rushes against my cheeks my heart flutters. There he is. Ryland Royal. He's across the walk sitting on the bench underneath the very cherry blossom tree where we first met as well as where he broke my heart. I have to push back the sick feeling that last thought gives me.

"Hey." He says softly as I seat myself next to him.

I smile back and something flashes in his eyes. He seems to be completely lost in something. That's when I realize that he's looking at me.

"What?" I ask blushing slightly.

"Huh? Oh..um...nothing." He says looking away.

"You were staring at me." I pick putting a playful hand on his shoulder.

He stops smiling and takes my hand in his. Meeting my eyes his face drops and becomes completely serious.

"I understand that maybe you don't want to forgive me. I was absolutely horrible to you. And I get that maybe you jus-" He stops when I put my finger to his lips.

"Just give me a chance to talk." I say.

He nods and I clear my throat.

"I'm not going to apologize for how I feel...I mean felt," He cringes slightly at my words which surprise me for some reason, "But I think I might be able to forgive you for being such a jackass." 

He nods in understanding. Then something dawns on him.

"Did you just say...." He trails of in utter surprise.

"I forgive you Ryland. Though it doesn't make up for what you did. And I don't believe for one second that you've changed. That you'll have to prove to me yourself." I say trying not to be snappy.

"So does this mean we are friends?" He asks with a eager smile.

"That's for you to figure out." And with that I get up and walk away from that tree for the third time.

Well they do say the third times the charm.

*Ryland P.O.V*

I'm pretty sure I have the world's most idiotic looking grin on my face, but I can't help it. We're friends... Brooke and I are friends, and, finally, after weeks of stress, I'm at peace with something in my life.

It's been about two days since Brooke forgave me, and it's literally been the best two days of my life. Getting to know Brooke again has been great. I'm thankful that she decided to give me a second chance. Though I didn't and still don't deserve it, I promised her I would try my hardest... and I will.

"This is nice." Brooke's soft voice catches my attention once again. I immediately understand what she means. We're sitting merely inches away from each other underneath our cherry blossom tree, and this very moment, sitting, talking with her... well, it's nice, and I have to admit... I really, really missed her. A lot.

"Yeah, it is." I agree and watch as she stares dazedly at the pier that leads off into the water. It's slightly windy, and despite the fact that it's barely breezy, her brunette locks are all flying over the place.

I chuckle as a soft pink blush rises to her cheeks. She hurriedly tries to fix her hair before it can embarrass her any further. I jokingly roll my eyes at her cute awkwardness and raise my hand to tuck a loose strand behind her ear. Brooke freezes at our contact and her eyes widen in shock. She doesn't say anything, so I move to cup her cheek softly in my hand.

I want to kiss her. The only thing running through my mind right now is how beautiful she looks with the sun reflecting in her eyes. I slowly lean forward, silently questioning Brooke if I'm going too far. She doesn't make a move to stop me, and I continue bringing her face closer and closer to mine. I can almost feel her lips against mine, and, in a split second before we meet, I realize that the gentlemanly thing for me to do... would be to kiss her on the cheek...

...so, I do.

*Brooke P.O.V.*

I had no idea what he was doing when he leaning closer. Well, I mean I know what he was doing. I'm not that stupid. But I was shocked how was he was moving. Do I really want to give him what he seems to want so soon? I almost pull away but something in me keeping me rooted. Then his lips softly brush my cheek and it makes me smile. Though I try to hold it back.

"Easy now, Casanova." I mock pulling away a little bit.

He looks slightly disappointed but smiles at my words. I just shake my head with the stupid grin he always causes me to have. I have no idea how we've come so close again in a simple matter of forty eight hours but I adore it. Kaylee will definitely take more convincing of this matter. But for now I'm just trying to give him a chance. Even though it is hard to let him in after what he had done. And something in me kept me wary of his player reputation

"I have to head in for my shift." I say standing up.

He stands as well and pulls me into a hug. His closeness makes me blush and feel all weird and happy.

"Bye Brooke." He replies softly.

I give him a little wave as I head across the lot. As I turn to sneak one last look at him, I notice something a little shocking. Brittany is suddenly where I had been moments before. She's batting her lashes and has a hand on his shoulder. Something flares in me and I go inside as fast as possible. 

As I pull on my apron the moment plays through my head again. I truly do hope he's changed. But maybe he hasn't.