Call Me Maybe

*Brooke P.O.V.*

After the past two weeks, I am more than ready for the weekend. I almost wrote a note of complaint since it wasn't coming fast enough. But finally it's a Friday afternoon and I'm arriving at One Harbor Cafe for an evening shift. I don't usually work Fridays, but Blake was going out with his family and needed someone to stick around. Apparently, its just me on the floor tonight. 

Entering in, a smile splashes my face. I deeply inhale the coffee and sugary sweetness as I walk to the back. Something about the delicous aroma brings me some kind of joy. It always has, maybe thats why I love working here.

A few noises from behind the counter tells me someones here but I don't think much of it and  just go into the kitchen area and put on my apron. Noticing a person looking through a shelf, I approach them cautiously. 

"Excuse me." I say to the person hunched to the ground.

A girl with choppy, layered brown hair stands to her feet. Her distressed jeans and band tee leave me a little skeptical. I try not to look as surprised as I actually am.  She gives me a smile, flashing a tongue piercing, and holds out a tattooed hand.

"River," She states, "Blake's girlfriend."

I cough slightly with a grin. So, Blake has a woman. Who could've known someone would be willing to put up with him? Great...I'm going to have to disappoint Kaylee's fantasies. I love her, but with Blake's face in the single department for so long we all knew this was coming.

"Cool, I'm Brooke," I began, not really sure what to say, "What made you want to work with us...besides Blake."

She laughs, "No worries homie, Blake just needed me to fill in for him tonight cause he has some important family thing. So you won't have to put up with me in the work sense to often."

Is it bad that I'm slightly relieved? I mean its been some crazy times and training a new worker was really not helping my not so great mood. I take a deep breath and get to work. A little distraction could always do me good.

 As we work I decide that she is actually pretty cool. And when we start to clean for closing I'm a little sad I won't be working with her more. But my sadness is thrown off when I hear the little door bell chime signaling someones entrance.

"Sorry we're about to close. No food or drinks!" I call out but no one replies.

I turn from cleaning the table to see Ryland standing by the front door. He gives a little wave with a smile. For some reason my heart races as I set down my rag when he walks up. What in the world was he even doing here? I'd actually forgotten about him finally.

"Hey Ryland." I say forcing a smile.

"Hi." He says.

I probably look totally creepy as I just sort of stare at him. But the way the lights brighten his hair, how the shadows cast over his eyes making them dark, and how the light hits his lips with a soft glare. I wonder what it would be like to ki- NO!, I mentally scream looking down with a blush. I can't think like that. Geez Brooke. Get it together. You're over him. He's just another pretty face now.

"So, I had a question for you." Ryland says, a little hint of nerves to his normally confident voice.

"Got for it." I reply going back to wiping off tables around him to distract myself. 

"Well...I got a new phone and I was wondering if I could get your number, cause I lost all my contacts." He drums his fingers on the counter as he speaks, it's a nervous habit of his. 

"Of course you can." I laugh but then realize that I'm completely falling for his ways and have to mentally slap myself.

"Give me your hand." I demand.