Remembering You

*Brooke P.O.V.*

It's been two days since the new Ryland situation. I haven't spoken to him or really seen him since then. But then again I have made it a goal/game to avoid him like the plague. Really, I don't want to talk to him. I don't want to know his useless, fake answers to the words he said the other day. It's just all apart of the game. And he isn't going to win. I'm not going to follow along and be a puppet on a string until things get serious again. He might as well be happy I feel this way and move on.

"Brooke. Two Caramel Frappes and an iced Green Tea for table 8." My mind spins back to reality as my co-worker, Blake calls out.

I nod filling up cups with the spicy, warm liquid. The scent of fresh coffee, turning book pages, and light-hearted chatter makes me smile. Even though working here at One Harbor Cafe is my job, it's also my escape. A safe haven from the people at school. 

Thankfully it's pretty small so we rarely get crowded and not a ton of people know it exists. Meaning I only ever see two or three people from school when I work. Normally, they are hippies or Kaylee so I don't have to worry. 

Placing lids on the cups, I take them on tray to table eight and head back behind the counter. Blake runs over, hugging me from behind and lifting me from the ground. I giggle and poke his tattooed arms until he releases me. I've worked here with Blake since freshman year. So Blake, being twenty-one, is like the older brother I never had and is always ready to pick on me when we work together.

"So. How's life? You took off like forever, and I feel like you've aged greatly since the last time I had the pleasure of your little company." He says, helping me fill a few orders of drinks.

"Pretty....horrible." I say being completely honest with him.

If only he knew.

"Uh-oh." He remarks handing me a cup lid. 

"I don't want to talk about it. I want to actually enjoy work today." I say handing him the cups.

He nods in understanding as he takes the now full tray of drinks to an assortment of tables. Leaving me behind the counter alone. As I watch Blake flirting with some hipster girls only one thing lingers in the back of my mind screaming to come out...

Ryland.

 *Ryland P.O.V.*

So, here I am, sitting in my room, listening to sad songs like I'm some depressed chick who just went through a bad break up... all because of one stupid girl who I can't get out of my mind. It seems to always end with her walking away from me, doesn't it? Except this time she skipped away with a fancy British dude following her like the pathetic little lap dog he is.

I tried explaining to her, I really did. I wanted to apologize, and that's saying a lot for me. I wanted to tell her that I want everything between us to go back to the way that it was, but I seriously feel like I've lost my chance. Maybe there's no point. Maybe I should just let her go so that she can have a nice freaking life with her new British boyfriend. I'm sure she'd love that.

I don't even know if what I feel for her is real or not. I've gone through hundreds of girls. I've never found one who hasn't bored me within a few months. All of them are the same. Perky and beach blonde, but Brooke? She's... different.

I slam my head into my pillow and let out a grunt of frustration. I can hear my parents screaming at each other from the kitchen. They just got back from another rich people thing they had at their work, and I assume something went wrong, so being the curious ass that I am, I decide to investigate.