IX

NINE; FINAL PREPARATIONS

"You know what the most unrealistic thing about this whole situation is?" Cassadee asked, more to herself than Bella as she set up the tent. "The fact that it's snowing in the middle of fucking June." She said as she looked around, seeing nothing but white covering the ground and foliage.

"Really?" Bella questioned as she sat on a boulder, watching her sister finish setting up the tent. "That's the most unrealistic thing when there's an army of vampires coming for you?"

"Yes." Cassadee nodded her head as she tossed Bella's backpack and sleeping bag inside the tent. "This is Washington, not the Arctic." She crawled into the tent and sat on the ground, Bella following her lead. "I hope you have enough layers on, this isn't gonna keep you warm for shit."

"Did you ever think that both of us would be engaged right out of high school?" Bella questioned, changing the subject.

"No. But I also didn't expect to vampires and werewolves to be real yet here we are." The Equalizer shrugged before looking at Bella closely. "Are you happy?"

Bella looked at her sister in confusion. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because Edward basically coerced you into marrying him."

"He didn't coerce me." Bella defended instantly.

"Coercion: the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats." Cassadee restated the definition from memory.

"I know what coercion is, Cassadee." Bella said in annoyance. "Edward didn't force or threaten me."

Cassadee rolled her eyes at the human, not believing her. "He refuses to change you until you're married. If it's not force then what is it?"

"Compromise." Bella defended, crossing her arms over her chest and shrinking into the corner, suddenly feeling very small under her sister's gaze. "I love him."

"Loving someone doesn't mean you have to marry them, Bella." Cassadee pointed out. "I know you hate to admit it but you love Jacob, too. In more than a friend way."

"But I love Edward more." Bella reminded Cassadee, the defensive tone still in her voice.

"The whole world knows that at this point." Cassadee said as she heard Edward get closer to the campsite. "Edward is going to be here in a second." She said before crawling out of the tent.

"I know you said not to be worried but I can't help it." Bella confessed as she followed Cassadee out of the tent. "Basically everyone I love the most are going to be fighting."

Cassadee faced her sister and pulled her into a hug, gently squeezing her but not nearly hard enough to hurt the human. "I swear on my life that nothing bad is going to happen. To you, me, or anyone else that we care about. I would tell you if it were otherwise."

"I know." Bella sighed into Cassadee's shoulder, tightening her grip around the immortal. "I just really love you and want you stay safe, C." She said, using the letter that served as a nickname for Cassadee when the two were too young to spell each other's names. She only used it when she was extremely worried.

"I love you, too, B." Cassadee gave her sister a final squeeze before letting go. "I'll see you tomorrow." She rubbed Bella's arms before taking off her parka she knew that Bella would need. "Stay warm." She said before walking away from the human.

"If I didn't know any better I would say that she loves you more than me." Edward told Cassadee as she walked by.

"And if I didn't know any better I would say that you're jealous." Cassadee shot back, glancing at the vampire. "You may be mates, but no matter how much time you spend together it'll never replace the bond we have." She said before continuing on her way. "Her whole world doesn't revolve around you, Edward, she has other people in her life if you haven't noticed." The brunette finished, speaking just loud enough to make sure he heard.