Chapter 5

"Back off! I've lost all my patience! Leave or I'll shoot!" A man was shouting, pointing a gun at us as we slipped around a corner to escape. We were heading to the communication center.
"The people are getting really aggressive! They must be so scared." I shivered. I imagined all the little children I had once babysat. I wondered what had become of them.
"Anybody could be an enemy. We can't let anyone join us, they could stab us in the back. Literally." Rocky said, leading the way to the transit cars. Rocky was starting to worry me. He was growing more aggressive as well. The fear was getting to us all.
"This car should take us to comms." Rocky said, hitting the button to call the car. We waited in eery silence until the car arrived. The doors opened, revealing a person, sitting in one of the seats.
"Don't move!" Rocky said, raising his weapon.
"Don't shoot please! I mean no harm!" The person stood and put their hands up.
"We're coming to use this, don't try anything." Rocky snarled to the guy, about our age. We sat down, Rocky still holding his gun.
"Hang on, Jemma? Is that you?!" The young man said, staring at me. It took me a minute to recognize him. Now we have a new companion.