Chapter 22

I walked briskly, I could hear Evelyn letting out short whimpers. I reach into my pocket and pulled out the keycard. I had completely forgotten about it, but I suppose we wouldn't have gone to the Marshal Bureau anyway, with the fire so close by. I stopped in front of a locked door. I shoved the keycard half way into the lock and left it there. Hopefully someone would find it and use it for survival. I had no use for it, I didn't want to care about anyone anymore. Everyone I loved was dead, except for Evelyn. I kept walking down the hallway, determined to find some supplies and a place to lock us in.
"I promise, I'll protect you." I said, looking down at my sole companion. She let out a small yap, as if she was telling me that she knew. We kept making our way through the station, I still didn't know where I was going. I finally found a room that seemed relatively secure, no vents and a door that would lock. There were a few boxes, so I started digging through, oblivious to Evelyn's growls and whimpers. I was suddenly grasped by a searing pain. I looked down at my stomach, seeing the tip of a sharp dagger-like tail protruding from it. The tail yanked out of me and I immediately fell to the floor. I couldn't move, it hurt too much. I forced my head to turn so I could see what was happening. My sight was blurry, but I could make out Evelyn biting down hard on one of the monster's legs. It let out a screech of anger, kicking her off and slicing at her with its claws. She let out a snarl as the creature tore off part of her left ear. She leapt forward, barking and growling at the beast. She continued to bite it, and it continued to claw her away. Evelyn was relentless, she wouldn't let this creature hurt me any more. The monster's green blood splattered on the floor. It roared and fled back into the vents. Evelyn stood a moment, panting, before dragging herself over to me and collapsing by my side. A puddle of blood quickly formed beneath us both.
"Good girl, good girl. I'm sorry, I couldn't protect you. I couldn't fulfill my promise..." I was crying, hot tears flowing down my face as the two of us lay together, bleeding. Evelyn let out a lamentation then licked my tears away, like she always had.
"We'll go together, girl. Let's go join our friends..." I whisper, my vision blurring further, my life drifting away. I stay conscious long enough to see Evelyn go still, then I let go.