Chapter 20

I don't know how Houston talked me into it, but we were heading to join a group of survivors. Just like Rocky had. I wasn't sure how he knew about this group, but I didn't care enough to ask.
"We're almost there." He told me. As we hurried down the hallway, I felt the tips of my fingers brush against Evelyn's velvety ears. Houston led the way with Kathy taking up the rear. We reached the end of the hall, we could go left or right. Houston seemed to hesitate, and in that moment of hesitation a boom echoed around. The ceiling exploded, I ran, going left. Houston was beside me, with Evelyn just ahead. Kathy was nowhere to be seen, and when I glanced over my shoulder I saw that part of the ceiling had collapsed. A small puddle of blood was coming from underneath the rubble. I felt tears welling in my eyes but I knew I had to stay strong. When we finally stopped I gasped for air. Houston leaned against a wall and cursed under his breath.
"Is someone there?!" A voice called from around the corner.
"Yes." I replied hoarsely. A head peeked around the corner. It was a girl, maybe about fourteen years old. Her hair was short, about shoulder length. It was brown, with one blonde streak in it.
"Oh. Uh, hi!" She said, looking confused.
"Are you part of the survivor group?" Rocky asked, skipping introductions.
"Uh, yes. Is their a reason you asked?" The girl seemed puzzled.
"We want to join." Houston explained. She nodded, beckoning us to follow her. She led us to a large door. She knocked on it gently.
"Hey, it's Jess. I have some new members, can I bring them in?" The girl called. The door opened up, revealing a large room with people all talking and sleeping. It was strange, they seemed calm. One guy was drinking straight from a bottle of wine. He seemed to notice us and stumbled over.
"Hey! Welcome to the party! I'm the leader here, Noah's the name and protecting these people is my game." The guy said all too cheerily.
"Hi. I'm Houston and this is Jemma and her dog." Houston replied.
"A dog, eh?" Noah kneeled down and looked at Evelyn, who sat there with her lips drawn back in a snarl.
"We were hoping that we could stay here with your group. Is that alright?" I asked, feeling uncomfortable.
"Huh, lots of meat on this thing, could feed one of us for a week." Noah said, standing up and pointing to Evelyn.
"Evelyn isn't–" I started, but Houston cut me off.
"You won't come near that dog or lay a single finger on her pelt, if you know what's good for you." Houston snapped.
"Woah, a bit tense are you? Calm down, Howstan." Noah chuckled, a smile plastered on his face as he mispronounced Houston's name.
"It's Houston." Houston corrected.
"Kay, Hawston." Noah said, turning and returning to the conversation he was having with another man. The girl who brought us here came over to us.
"He's always like that. My name's Jess, by the way." The girl told us.
"We just lost one of our friends, she's dead. We've lost so many others, too. Yet this guy and standing around drunk!" Houston pinched his nose.
"Hey! Hey! Mandatory meeting! Gather around, my good friends!" Noah shouted, now standing on a box. Everyone bunched around to hear what he had to say.
"I'm sending out some more people to get supplies. Let's see... You, Old Miles, you too, Brittany, oh and of course, Jess. Don't come back until you've gathered food and water for us all." As he said the names of people he pointed to them. Miles was an old man, Brittany was obviously sick, and Jess seemed like the youngest member there.
"What?! How is sending out the youngest, oldest, and ill?!" Houston gasped. I nodded, glaring up at the smiling man. Evelyn let out a soft growl, echoing all three of our feelings at once.
"That's right girl, this guy is trouble." I whispered to her.
"Nothing but trouble." Houston agreed.

Note: AHHH! I like this chapter, but it's not my best. Anyway, the story is kind of starting to wrap up, which makes me kinda sad. I'm really proud of this story. I really am. From what I've planned, there should be three more chapters. So of course, I have indeed slowed down. I'm taking great care in planning what's about to happen, so please be patient for the next chapter.