Five

"What the hell is wrong with you today?" A crewmate frowned, having noticed you were turning to look behind you every few minutes during breakfast.

"Huh?" You looked back at your friend across the table, your back already itching and making you want to look at the table just behind you.

"You keep staring at the Captain's table!" He pointed his fork at you with a frown, "It's creepy, even for you!"

"I'm not creepy!" You huffed with indignation, glaring at the male who now waved his fork at you.

"Just stop mooning over the Captain already and eat!"

You scowled and shoved a few eggs in your mouth, wanting to kick the man under the table for daring to say you mooned over Kid. He was your Captain and you respected him! You weren't in love, just...loyal. A lowly pirate such as you was allowed to admire their own leader and devote their lives to his dream, all the while, enjoying every minute of it. 

Besides, that wasn't who you'd been looking at. 

Surprisingly, you were turning to stare at Killer who was seated just behind your chair, back to you and drinking his milk through a straw. 

The dining room wasn't big enough on the ship to give much space between the two tables, so they were spaced along side one another and given enough room for chairs and a walkway for someone to squeeze through. This would sometimes cause accidental bumps into chairs, cuffs to the head, or just people tripping over one another. So, of course, the close proximity made you extremely nervous. He could very well do something right this moment in front of everyone and you wouldn't be able to stop him! Killer wasn't even touching you but just his presence seemed to rub up against your body, envelope all your senses, and make you jittery in the legs.

You shivered and turned to look again, eyeing his broad back warily while a few bits of eggs fell on the floor when you missed your mouth. Your gaze moved over his body without meaning to; studying his broad shoulders that had grown larger ever since entering the New World, his muscled arms that could hold you down without even trying, and that thick waist that seemed to send a buzz throughout all your nerve endings.

But what you really couldn't help but admire was his long, golden hair.

It looked so....just, damn! It's length was impressive on it's own, but the way it shined beautifully in every kind of lighting was amazing. How it seemed to lay in thick tendrils, fluffy enough to where one could rest their head on it and take a wonderful nap. Even during the heat of battle, it never tangled, got in his way, or cause him any sort of hassle. You were sure that even his enemies wouldn't grab at it for leverage, too much in awe at it's exquisiteness.

Killer probably lathered, rinsed, and repeat.

Before you knew what was happening, your hand was reaching out and brushing the blonde locks, immediately gaining a sense of satisfaction at feeling how silky and fluffy it was. It slid so easily through your fingers and made your body tingle. It was a nice tingle and you just wanted to comb the hell out of his hair. 

Then it moved away from your hand, swishing over the first mate's shoulder as Killer looked down at you. You froze and looked up, eyes staring right into his blue and white mask as a sensation of dread washed over you. It was then that everyone noticed the two of you and stared; a few even witnessing you touching the male's hair and passing it to the others.

It was at this moment you knew you had probably done the most embarrassing thing that could ever happen in the history of forever.

You had just been caught, playing with Killer's hair.

The dining room was dead silent, everyone looking at you with a different array of facial expressions. Confusion, pity, amusement, etc. All the while, a burning heat was traveling up your neck and over your entire face; your hand slowly coming back to your side while you stared right at Killer's mask with a look of pure shock. The room's painful silence wasn't as horrible as Killer looking straight at you and knowing you had initiated contact all on your own. He hadn't even been paying attention to you all through breakfast, you had been safe.

"T-There was something i-in your hair," You croaked out, surprised your mouth was saving your butt despite your brain being so numb. "I...I was g-getting it out."

Silence still.

It was then that you could drag your eyes from Killer's face, scanning the room to see the whole crew looking at you like this was some kind of side show. And then your eyes stopped on your Captain, his face completely neutral as he chewed his food, almost as if this was nothing new to him. 

You stood up, body completely stiff while your head hunched into your shoulders like a turtle going into it's shell. "T-Thank you for the meal!!"

And you were out, stumbling over a few chair legs to get out of the tight space and careful not to touch anyone. Your plan was to run to your room, scream into your pillow and pretend this never happened. And if that didn't work you would build a time machine and push yourself overboard before you made it to breakfast. It was the only way.

Despite the interruption, the crew resumed their breakfast. They continued on with their paused conversations as if nothing had really happened, chatting about what they were going to do today and when they were going to reach the next island. Even Killer went back to drinking through his straw, milk traveling up to his mask and looking a little silly for a man who could slice a person in two.

But if there was one thing that was different, it was that Killer was feeling a bit more cocky then before. He had finally received your full attention without having to jump you when your guard was down. The man didn't have to push you up against the wall and grope whatever he could. He didn't have to trap you in a room or sneak up behind you to snatch you up. Killer hadn't lifted a single finger.

That wasn't the best part though. Not only had you touched him, it had been affectionate. You didn't hit him, smack his arm or even make a childish face; no, you had brushed his hair. 

Killer practically swelled with pride, glad not one bit of you paying attention to him had involved Eustass Kid. 

He was winning.