Chapter 5 (The Next Dead Thing)

Chapter 5

Jack

The Next Dead Thing

Shy found me minutes after encountering Alex sitting with Zack who was trying his best to comfort the shaking me.

“Jack, dude what’s wrong?” He asked trying to read my face.

            Alex hated me by now. He knew I had lied to Shy. Shy probably hated me too. She crouched in front of me.

“Jack? It’s okay me and Alex talked, he said we could stay after all, but I don’t think we’re going to…” She looked at Zack, “It’s safe here, but supplies are low. Even Alex agreed there wasn’t a lot here. I think we should leave as soon as possible.”

            Zack nodded as he rubbed my back. I was still trembling. We were going to leave Alex and Rian here. What would happen? Would he hate me even more?

“What about Rian?” I cried.

Shy nodded at Zack who said, “He’ll come with us too.”

            I calmed down slightly, but Alex was going to be alone. Was that right? Should we do that to him?

“… We’ll have to take the van for everyone to fit... Alex is…”

            Oh, God I couldn’t sit here and listen to them plot to leave Alex anymore. I jumped up and walked to Hot Topic, one of my favorite stores. Of course I had already taken all my favorite clothes in my size from the store and packed them up tightly, but the more I went in the more things I found. CD’s, necklaces, bracelets, even hats. I found comfort around my favorite band logos more than I did my friends sometimes. I frowned at the stuffed Zombie Kitty and tossed it behind me and jumping at the “Ow.” From Alex. I apologized when I realized I had hit him with it. He shook his head and looked down at it with a sad smile then walked closer to me.

“It’s funny how everyone use to laugh at all this zombie stuff. Imagine how many people bought these because they’re cute. I bet half those people aren’t even alive anymore. Their cats probably actually did turn into a zombie and killed them.”

            I shrugged looking at the box filled with the same Zombie Kitty toys. Alex sighed and threw the stuffed animal into the box with the remaining, closed it, and sat down in front of me, taking my hands in his. He looked me up and down and then let his hands fall to his lap.

“J-Jack… I’m s-sorry I yelled at you.” He said scratching his head and letting his fingers run through his ruffled hair. “I was freaked out about Kai… I think we all are… I-I want to talk to you about… Y’know…”

            No. No. I’m not going to let him do this to me.

“That?” I laughed. “Oh, dude you don’t think I actually meant it do you? Com’on we’re brothers!” I patted his back with a grin. “Lexy, you know how I joke.”

Was that hurt? Or relief?

He nodded and laughed, “Of course. Wow. Thank god. I was really worried, Jacky! I thought maybe you were actually in love with me!” He stood up and wrapped his arms around my neck. “Of course you’re not! You’re straight! I’m straight!” He said into my hair patting my back. “Wow. Phew. Don’t scare me like that buddy.” He said pulling away and nudging me playfully.

             I smiled. A smile I knew Alex couldn’t read. The smile I’ve been smiling ever since we were kids. My fakest smile ever. Alex offered to stay with me in the store or go with me wherever I wanted in the mall but I didn’t want to be around him any longer. I was happy I was leaving. I always knew Alex was straight. I always knew he’d never love me as anything more than a friend. He had said he was scared. He was scared of me. If I hadn’t of laughed it off, told him it was a joke, and he hadn’t of believed me he would have been scared to be around me.