Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Back To Work

I had one hour left of work and I decided to go down to the morgue to visit with Lanie. When I walked in she was sewing up a body. I knocked on the door frame and she jumped, almost sewing the chest to the chin.

"Girl, warn me next time you decide to come down here!" She exclaimed.

"Sorry, Lanie, just wanted to get some input on the case." I said. She looked over my shoulder. "Where's Castle?" She asked.

"Oh, he's at home. I told him I would call him if there was a body, but I want him to relax before he comes back." I replied. She didn't seem to buy it though. "There's somethin' different about you." She said pointing her finger up and down my body. "I can't quite put my finger on it though."

My eyes widened and I muttered out "It's probably because Castle and I got married and it's a little different." I hoped she would buy that. Instead she told me about the victim. "Ok, well, our victim is Lauren Jacobson. She was bashed over the head with a hammer. But I think her cause of death was the two shots to the stomach. The time slot was between 1 and 3 this morning." She informed me. I observed the Vic's face and noticed a red mark behind her ear. I pointed it out to Lanie.

"What about this mark behind her ear?" She came over to the side I was standing. "We found traces of metal in the scrape and sent it over to ballistics to get it checked out." She told me. I had to go home to Castle and make dinner. "Thanks Lanie. I gotta head home and make dinner." I waved to her and started to walk out when she yelled, "Hold on! I know what's different about you." I swallowed hard. "You're pregnant!"