Chapter 26

Chapter 26

News Report

The smell of fresh paint filled my nose as I smeared the baby blue coating on the wall of Jack's new room. I tried to get to the very top of the wall with the roller, but the higher I stretched my arm and extended my toes, I felt pains in the bottom of my stomach.

I set the roller down in the pan, put my hands on my knees, and took a few deep breaths. "You should take a break." Castle said behind me. I turned my head to find him looking at me with a worried expression, his face covered in a mask of sweat. I nodded. "Yeah, ok." I replied, wiping a bead of sweat that was rolling down my face.

I plopped down on the couch and turned the tv on. The screen popped up on the news. The female news reporter spewed out information about a robbery downtown.

"A mid-thirty year old female and early-forty year old man reportedly broke onto a nursing home at midnight last night. The robbers got away with a flat screen tv, an antique vase, and a jewelry box full of expensive items. They were wearing ski masks, so we couldn't identify them. But security cameras caught a glimpse of the robbers leaving the home."

An image came up on the screen of a man and woman. The woman had long blonde hair, her hair sticking out of the mask. An uneasy feeling came to my stomach. She was pregnant. Looked about eight months, just like Stephanie. And the man was the same height as Matt. Castle came into the living room, and caught me staring at the tv.

"Are you okay, Beckett?" He asked. I snapped out of my trance and replied, "Yeah, I'm fine. But look at this news report." He turned to the tv and glanced at the image. "That looks like Matt and Stephanie! I can't believe that they're robbers!" He said.