Chapter 8

• Dedicated to Suzanne Collins

It's late.  I can tell because its pitch-black outside.  Haidrian tells us to go talk with our mentors for strategy.

"Can we all be together?  Thresh and I are going to be in an alliance, after all."

Haidrian is about to object, but Seeder jumps in.

"What a lovely idea!  Thresh, Chaff, meet us in Rue's room in 5 minutes."

They silently nod and start talking to each other again.  Haidrian is still staring at us, deciding something.  I don't know what, but I'm guessing that its why Thresh would want to be my ally.  Nonetheless, I like seeing her squirm, so I turn away without comment.

I show Seeder to my room.  We talk for a little while about tomorrow.  She wants me to try not to object tomorrow.  She says this because we will be in prep.

"Now listen, Rue.  They are going to do things to you that you don't like.  Things that will hurt.  Things that will sting.  But in the end, you'll be beautiful.  I had to go through prep once, too.  But it's worth it.  I promise."

Then, after a few moments of her staring at me silently, Seeder starts crying.

"Seeder!  What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, Rue.  I'm sorry that you were Reaped.  I know the awful feeling when no one volunteers, too.  But you aren't scared about being in the arena, are you?  You're scared for your family.  That's how I was."

"Yes.  I'm scared for my family.  I'm scared that if I die in the arena, they might not be able to work, get money, food, clothing.  Anything!"

"Rue.  I didn't mean to make you upset."  Seeder says trying to stop her tears.  "It's not fair that you were Reaped.  I agree completely.  But trust me: you will get lots of Sponsors from people who cant stand to see a little girl die.  And the farther you get, people will start to realize how clever you are.  Just like I did." 

//:  Hey guys!  Sorry for the short chapter. ;(...  But anyway, PLEASE comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!