Chapter 4

Madison was sat on her bed, her phone playing music softly from her bedside table, as she read a book. She had only been reading for an hour but every 5 minutes or so she found her thoughts drifting to Daniel. It had been 5 days since her detention with him, and she was incredibly surprised to see that she had respected her wishes and had completely left her alone.

Annoyed that her thoughts kept going back to Daniel, no matter how hard she tried to keep her full attention on the book, she closed her book and stopped her music.

With her phone in hand she set out to find some food, as she hadn't eaten since breakfast, which was 3 hours ago. She quickly descended the stairs, and she heard her parent's voices sounding from the dining room where they were probably drinking coffee and reading the newspaper or working on their laptops. She also heard the TV blasting some TV show that her little brother was watching a TV show. A normal Saturday in her house.

Madison walked straight into the kitchen and went straight to the pantry to grab herself a packet of chips. Her mum looked up at her before taking another look, "Maddi, honey what are you wearing?" Madison tried to ignore the disgust she found in her mother's voice.

"Clothes mum." Madison's answer was sarcastic but her voice didn't show it, her voice remained calm and serious.

"They aren't clothes, it only covers half of what it supposed to." At this time her dad also turned his head to look at what Madison was wearing, which consisted of a crop top and a pair of black denim shorts.

"I don't care, I bought it and I like it so I'm going to wear it." Madison argued back.

Madison didn't want to fight with her mother today, she had too much on her plate already with school and friend drama. She didn't know if she would be able to deal with the abuse her mother would give her right now, without bursting into a puddle of tears. Madison started to walk out of the kitchen but her mother's voice quickly stopped her.

"Where do you think you're going young lady I wasn't finished talking to you"
"Well too bad, cause I'm finished talking to you, mum."

For the first time since Madison had gotten down here her father spoke up, but of course only to defend her mother, "don't speak to your mother like that."

"Seriously dad? Have you been listening to how she's speaking to me," Madison tried to reason but to no avail.

Her dad backed off after this, but to Madison misfortune her mother did not. Her mother droned on and on, no doubt abusing Madison, but Madison tried her best to tune out the best she could concentrating on the children's TV show her brother was watching. It really wasn't interesting and it was stupid and unrealistic but it was better than listening to her mother.

It was when Madison heard her mother mention something about the fact she still hasn't gotten herself a job. Madison groaned aloud and rolled her eyes here we go again.

"Hey mum if you could remember correctly I had a job. And then someone made me quit because it was 'interfering with my studies'" Madison used her hands for quotation marks on the last part of her sentence.

Her mother huffed in the realisation that Madison was referring to her. "Well, Madi, that was because it was your grades dropped."

Madison rolled her eyes again "I went from an A, to a B, mum it's not that great of a deal. The only reason you made it such a big deal is because you finally got me to do what you wanted and couldn't be on my back about something so you had to come up with something else. And this is it. Couldn't you just back off and give me a break for a minute."

"Do not talk to me like that young lady." Madison's mother voice was rising and so was Madison's temper.

"Why not mum, you talk to me like this all the time." Madison's voice was also rising. Upon realising that this could turn into one of their fights they often have that end up in rude comments, yelling, and quite often crying, mainly Madison, her dad stood up putting his coffee cup into the sink and leaving the room.