Chapter Two

[i think this is a tad bit edited .-. I hope you enjoy c:]

After two hours of continuous shoving and pushing, I had made it to my English class. Everything was normal about that class, except the fact that right when I walked in, I remembered Mark was in my class.

I had bumped into Mark a couple times after the bathroom incident. He had tried talking to me, but I scurried away from him.

But now that I realised he was in my English class, there was no getting away from him. And sadly, my teacher was always too tired to pay attention. We do book work the whole class period, as we do every day.

I slugged over to my seat and sat down, setting my bag in my lap. We didn't have assigned seats in this class, so I normally sat in the back corner away from everybody. Nobody sits next to me, it should be obvious that nobody would want to.

I'm a freak.

But when I heard the desk next to mine make a scoffing sound as it was scooted a bit closer to mine, I flipped out. My eyes widened and I quickly looked over at the desk. Mark. He was sitting in the desk with a smile and his book on the desk.

"Hey. Is it okay if I sit here?" he asked me gently. I stared at him through my hair, which was thankfully covering my eyes.

I furrowed my brows at him, knowing he couldn't see it, but still did. "Nobody sits there. Why would you want to?"

He shrugged then smiled. "So I can figure out who you are. You seem cool, I mean, come on. You've got green hair!" Which my parents beat me for doing. "I'll move if you want me to, but I'd like to sit and talk."

I couldn't just tell him to leave. We do have free seating. But nobody ever wants to sit by me. "Why do you want to talk to me? I'm a freak. Everybody hates me at this school, you should too."

He looked at me with an unreadable expression. "Listen here, No Name. I don't care if you punched a puppy, okay, if you punched a teacher, you seem cool. And I want to get to know you."

I shook my head, slightly annoyed. I didn't do anything to make people hate me, they just did. And he should too, that way his popularity isn't ruined by a worthless nobody like myself. "Look. I'm a nobody. I'm worthless. You should know that by now. Tony has a point. I'm pointless. I'm a lost cause. I have no friends. I have— Never mind. I have nobody that cares about me, and you should join those groups of nobodies."

He shook his head. "Stop, I have never heard anything bad about you, so clearly you haven't done anything wrong. And I'm sure you parents care about you, they're family." I barked out a laugh. Yeah, they care about me. He furrowed his brows, questioning why I laughed at that. "But I'm not going to stop talking to you because nobody knows who you are. I could help people get to know you," he said with an encouraging smile.

"Yeah, well maybe I'd like to stay hidden in the shadows," I mumbled out. I reached down into my bag and pulled out my English book.

"But why?" he asked, curiosity smothering his voice.

"So people don't talk to me! So I don't get attached to people who I know are going to fail me! So I don't start to care about someone who is destined to hurt me worse than I've ever been hurt!" I yelled at him. Luckily, nobody was paying attention to us, since we were so far in the corner of the room. His eyes winded at my sudden outburst. I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut. "I'm sorry."

He shook his head again and said, "No, don't apologise. I know where you're coming from. But I'll make you a promise. If you let me become your friend, I promise you I will never hurt you. I promise I'll be there if you ever want to talk. Okay? Promise me."

I looked at him and his encouraging smile. For a moment, I forgot about everything bad in my life. My parents bashing me till I felt more dead. The kids at this school pushing me further into my grave. The nobodies who care. I stared at his smile.

I knew I was going to regret everything. I knew this would backfire. But Mark had an air around him that made him seem trustworthy. I had only ever heard good things about him. And as much as I hated myself for saying it, I did.

"Okay, I promise."