Ch. 17: Reunion and Betrayal

"What do you mean?" I asked in panic, gulping my own saliva as I gripped the empty can tightly.

"I didn't befriend you because I was friendly. I befriended you because I want to feel superior to someone else." He faced me with such dead eyes. He isn't joking nor would I know why he would. "I was always left out, trying so hard to keep up the big brother facade to most of the kids in the orphanage. When you came, I thought 'this is great. I can use her innocence to sabotage someone'. I would use you as a robot who obeys my every command."

I don't know how to react...if I would laugh or get angry at him.

"But... I had fun being with you, even just by serving as a teacher to you. I didn't bother to ask why you would ask almost everything about the world. I didn't mind those things. I minded you, your emotions and everything. You gave me light and hope that at least one friend will always stay by my side..." I can clearly see him holding back his tears, gripping the can tightly while his head is hung. He's silent and trying hard not to let me see his tears.

A short silence... Then I started to respond with my unfazed expression as usual.

"If only you were taller, and actually superior to me, then I might've taken you more seriously." He flinched. "You were so desperate that you wouldn't even ask about why I was that innocent. Do you think a 13 year old human will be that innocent?" He stayed silent. I was right. "But you know, you were good at deceiving me right until the end." I praised and ruffled his hair. "I'm glad that we're genuinely friends now."

I saw Cervi blush, gripping the can tightly to contain it. "S-same as me..."

I threw the can in a bin nearby and went inside Kanae's room. I opened it to see him wide awake. It was not a pleasant scene. The room smells like shit, looks like shit, and there's a piece of shit inside it. But, like I can do anything about it.

"How do you feel?" I asked Kanae, resting my elbows on his bed.

"None of your business." He coldly answered. I don't understand why. What did I do to make him answer like that?

"Hey, don't answer me coldly!"

He clicked his tongue and covered himself in his blanket. None of his body parts are uncovered. (-_-)

"What the hell, Kanae?!" I scolded, pulling the blankets in one hand. "What made you cold recently?!"

"Just... Leave me alone for a while."

"Huh? What the fuck?! Don't think you can order me around!" I was about to stab him with my spear but Cervi held me back with all his strength.

"Celeste, let's just leave him alone for a while. We'll come back tomorrow." He begged.

"I doubt that you can still visit me in the hospital tomorrow. I'll be discharged in the morning tomorrow. They just patched my wounds up so they won't get affected. But now is not the time to be fooling around." He solemnly commented, taking the blanket and covering himself again with it.

I abruptly stopped, which surprised Cervi. "Ce--?"

"I understand." I lied. "We're going to Cervi's house now." I reasoned out, grabbing Cervi's arm and dragging him outside.

Outside the hospital, we chatted again. Cervi knows that there's something wrong with me that I refuse to show so he stopped me, shaking his arm out of my grip.

Interesting. Since he broke his facade, he is free to do anything he wanted with his true feelings. I wonder how he could talk me out of this one.

"Kanae doesn't hate you." He defended. "There's something bothering him that he doesn't want you to get involved in it."