Ch. 32: Carol's Time

January 3. Before Class.

I came in class early. Well that's a bit weird, usually AC and Lana are earlier than me so why are they not here yet? Carol and I also come to school usually so why do I feel like I'm alone today? I heard the news that I'm going to school today so why do I feel like I'm the only one going?

Plus, Kanae is still asleep, claiming he'll go to school much later so I can go ahead.

I dropped my things on my chair next to the window and sat down, sighing exasperatedly. Now, since I have the chance, I might as well reminisce about what happened in my break, after that chaotic wedding. When I think about it, it sounds like I'm insulting the said wedding but really, I compliment it when I say that. I like chaos. I'm a demon after all~

On the 26th of December, the day after everything, I received a letter from the Audens. I thought that they're finally disowning me (which is kind of an unusual statement and mindset from an orphan) but I guess I was wrong. What a disappointment.

"Dear Celeste,
We haven't talked in a huge while, haven't we? I know you rejected the Evans-Auden wedding for the sake of the Audens' financial business but you seem to be ignoring us afterwards. You live with that Baade guy, right? You can come home now, our arms are open to welcome you. We can talk about your day like the family we're supposed to be.
Sincerely Yours,
Johnny Auden"

It says. When was the last time I saw a letter from Johnny? Ah... Never. That time when I saw from the "sold" Auden Residence is very different from this one. The handwriting, the format, the signature, is all different. That is the first time he ever directly sent me a letter.

I decided that I should get my stuffs. I can't let Kanae take care of me forever. But...I prefer to stay with him more than the Audens.

So I walked to the Auden Residence. Lately, I memorised the path to the Auden Residence. That's the only path I memorised so far.

I managed to talk to Patricia and Johnny and cleared all misunderstandings. They then said that it's not Carol's fault but his father and brother. It's hard for Carol to accept things, knowing that both his brother and father haven't moved on since Zara, Carol and Jasper's mother, died. I wonder how old were they when they were aware of this. Carol is really young so I don't blame him if he moved on so fast.

In the end, we both decided that we can call each other if we need something. This is such a turn-around from every thing we experienced. I didn't even think for a second that we're going to have a conversation like this. But, it's a bit relieving that even though we mutually hate each other, we still have room for...unhate.

I could've remembered Kanae's shocked face as I returned the next day. He opened the door casually like I was some kind of a stranger. He really was unwilling to open the door for somebody who properly knocks on it. I know he's holding back to hug me as he gulps, sweats and stands still as a statue. I don't know if I would like that idea or not.

...and now we're here, at school in the morning. After rewinding, I realised that the time when I came was 30 minutes early. Well now, I guess I have company. Those three early guys-- AC, Lana, Carol... Carol, huh... Maybe Emily will come sooner too.

"Hey Auden, you BIIIIITTTCCCHHHH!!!!!" I heard the door slam open. No, more likely it was kicked open. The noise returned...how relieving.

"What is with that greeting?" I looked at her dryly with a brow raised and sighed hopelessly

"I heard it from Carol himself!!!" She shook me so much. Ah, geez. I'm glad I'm used to people shaking me so much.