3

I found myself under a tree after classes. The rain still poured and it smelled like when dogs get wet and shake all over you and your clothes. I remember my dog, Colin. Mum loved that dog. She use to feed him strawberries when Dad wasn't looking because he said strawberries were too expensive to waste on a mutt. He wasn't as fond as Colin as Mum was. Mum adored Colin. I wonder where Colin was now, if Dad had kept him.

I haven't seen him since he dropped me off at the boarding school and left. That was four years ago. I had been counting. I find myself crying again. God I'm such a wimp. Can't go ten minutes without balling my eyes out.

"You'll catch a cold."

At first I thought the voice belonged to Cecile, but it wasn't her voice. Wiping the tears that probably look like rain from my face, I look up into blue eyes that looked like the icy, deadly sea that could swallow you up in simply a wave. I felt a sudden rush of energy in my body that longed to be swallowed by those waves.

"I haven't before and I shan't now." I hummed.

The boy plopped himself down right next to me. He had the audacity to sit under my tree with me. I didn't even know the boy.

"Who are you?" I asked. "And why are you under my tree?"

"My name is Phil Lester and I'm under your tree because you look lonely and sad."

"I am not lonely or sa-"

"Sure, Dan Howell, sure."

"How do you know my name?" I demanded, looking into his crashing waves of eyes. I felt so cliché to compare his eyes to crashing waves of water and his hair to a silky raven's wings and his skin to smooth parchment but I could not find any other way to describe the slender, long legged boy.

"We have English together. You sit in front of me. You have a lovely back head."

I stood, looking down at this Phil Lester bloke.

"You're creeping me out." I said simply, storming away from his stupid tidewave eyes that were trying to swallow me and my small little boat of sanity in the ragging hurricane and I try not to cry again because I think of Mum.