24

Cecile, according to the information in a letter sent from London Children's Hospital in her handwriting, was going to have to stay until next year at the hospital. The family drama and school stress had worsened her condition and her mother thought it best.

I felt so alone. Phil had stopped trying to understand why I now suddenly hated him, though I really didn't. My grades began to drop and so did my weight. I hadn't showered or changed my uniform in five days and I hadn't slept in a week.

Professor Raul, who taught me chemistry, started to pick up on my worsening state and scheduled me in with the school counselor.

The counselor was a small woman, about 5"2, with choppy blond hair and green eyes that hid behind thick framed glasses. She always wore pantsuits and there was a rumor that she wore adult diapers. And looking at her I'd say I believed them.

"Daniel." Dr. Pepper said in her squeaky voice. "What seems to be troubling you."

I so wanted to spill everything to this woman, but definitely couldn't. That would start things and she might call my dad.

"Nothing's wrong." I said.

"Then why are you here?"

"Well, Professor Raul scheduled this."

"Daniel, you seem to be holding back." Dr. Pepper said.

"No. 'Course not. I just have a ton of homework." I lied.

Dr. Pepper smiled. "Alright. Promise you'll schedule another appointment soon."

"I will!" I stood and lied right through my teeth as I exited her office and made a mad dash for my room.