Movie Night Fright

I plop down on the kitchen counter tiredly. I am so overwhelmed and happy by the fact that it's Friday. This week has been mentally exhausting. Though, my sign language has significantly improved.

"I have a date tonight, and I would feel more comfortable if you had friends over," my Mom says casually.

"A date?" I question.

"Yes" she signs. "Don't act so shocked," she says.

"Sorry," I sign trying to withhold a giggle.

"I don't really have a lot of friends," I sigh. Looking at my hands. I mean, I used to have friends, when I went to school here. When I wasn't hard of hearing. No one even knows what's happened except for my Mom, Dr. Ford, and an old friend Taylor who I ran into in Boston. I'm not sure I want people to know either.

My mom turns around and hugs me, her hug comforting and warm, I hug her back.

"Em, I know this must be hard for you," she says sympathetically.

"It's fine, really," I assure her.

"Are you going to invite what's her name, uh you describe her hair as I lively tuff of luscious curls," Mom asks laughing a bit.

"Maya," I interrupt.

"Yeah, her," she says.

"I'll invite her, and Wyatt," I say.

"Wyatt?" she questions still hugging me. After a week I still haven't told her about Wyatt.

"Uh, yeah he's in my art class," I say which is true, but not the most significant fact about him.

"Oh," she says.

"Oh what?" I say. I "Nothing, I just hate that you're getting older." She says kissing my forehead and then she resume getting ready for her date. I walk to the dining room to text Maya, and I realize I don't have Wyatt's phone number. I text Maya anyways better together than alone.

E: Hey! It's Emmaline, I was wondering if you wanted to come to my house maybe watch a movie, my mom's going out.

M: Sure! can I bring a few people?

E: Absolutely!

I send her my address and begin to set up.

The snacks are set out on the coffee table, cheesy popcorn, caramel popcorn, M&Ms, and Red Vines. I select some movies maybe, Citizen Kane, or Singing In The Rain, The Godfather, or Jaws, The Birds, or Willy Wonka. I'm anxious for their arrival, will they like my films? I have almost all the classics but I picked out my favorites, maybe I should include The Rocky Horror Show Picture. What if they think my films stink, they can't though everyone loves Singing In The Rain, what if they haven't seen it? What if the don't like the classics. My pulse quickens as I become nervous. I feel my face heat up and my palms begin to sweat and then the door bells rings. I wipe my sweaty hands on my jeans. I walk down the front stairs every step I take making a loud creak. I open the door and I see Maya, a girl I vaguely remember from Chemistry, and Wyatt. What's Wyatt doing here?

"Hey, come on in!" I chirp, trying pathetically to sign also.

Wyatt smiles warmly at me, and I try to conceal my happiness, but I feel the muscles in my cheeks hurting, I am grinning like an idiot. I step out of the way and let them come in.

"I figured we could watch a movie." I say and struggle to sign pointing to the parlor.

"Cool!" signs the girl from chemistry class.

Maya strolls over and picks up The Birds, and Jaws.

"Definitely one of these, I see you're a collector of classic films." she says.