Chapter 9: Going For The Kill (Part 1)

It's been three months since I've arrived here. And I still don't have what it really takes to be a pro and skilled killer... How am I supposed to defeat Offender like this? God, I have to make a huge effort to become a great one, huh?

Toby: "Hey, Mary... Are you alright?"

Me: "Who? Me? Of course!"

Toby: "You don't seem to be... So, what's on your mind?"

Me: *sigh* "Toby, it's been like three months since I've come here... Why am I not succeeding?"

Toby: "What are you saying? You ARE succeeding!"

Me: "Well, yeah... But not enough... I mean, you guys are so skilled and good at this job, and I'm not... Don't I have to be as good as you, now that a lot of time has passed?"

Toby: "... Actually, to be onest, we didn't need any training at all... For example, I just got really insane and *POOF*. I became a really good murderer!"

Me: "You're not helping me..."

Toby: "Sorry. That was stupid... Anyway, I'm gonna ask you something. Are you scared of becoming a killer...?"

Me: "...I... I..."

Toby: "Are you scared of hurting people like the way we do?"

Me: "... Yes..."

Toby: "And you don't want to do that, but you have no other choise...?"

Me: "E-exactly..."

Toby: "I understand you very well."

He hugs me while my tears begin to flow. What the hell am I crying for?! It's not like it is the end of the world... Right?

Toby: "Stop, Mary... You're hurting yourself more if you do this... Think that you need to become a killer for one reason: to defeat Offender."

Me: "B-but I will still have to murder people like you do... I don't want that..."

Toby: "I'm starting to wonder why you came here and why are you still with us..."

Me: "What?!"

Toby: "I know, I know... You were forced by your father... But that's not fair. You're not supposed to become one of us. Maybe that's why you're not succeeding very much... You really aren't good for this job..."

Me: "But... If I'm not going to become a murderer, I won't defeat Offender..."

Toby: "Don't worry. We'll teach you... And we'll be by your side no matter what. Especially me."

Me: "Huh?"

Toby: "I'm your best friend, right? Best friends are always staying by their side. So don't worry, I'll protect you."

Me: "Toby... Why do you really want to protect me? I mean, you are a murderer now, after all..."

Toby: "I may be a murderer, but I'm still your best friend and I still love you."

Me: "Eh... As a best friend, right?!"

Toby: "... ... *shakes his head* O-of course!"

Me: "You hesitated..."

Toby: "N-no, I didn't!"

Me: "... C'mon. I'm just playing with you! You know that, right?"

Toby: "Y-yes!"

Me: "You don't seem really confident..."

Toby: "Eh?!"

Me: "Nah. Just playing with you again." *hits his shoulder*