chapter two ⇾ wren lake

Summer and Will sat together at their kitchen table, leaning forward on their arms

Summer and Will sat together at their kitchen table, leaning forward on their arms. They were both staring at their phones, waiting to see who their dad would call first.
It was always a waiting game when it came to their father, he wasn't very dependent.
Summer jumped as her phone began to ring. Will mumbled something about Summer being their father's favorite, watching as his sister picked up her phone and answered.

"Hello, Summer Belmont aka one of two Belmont neglected children. How can I be at your service today?" She asked.

Will choked on the water he had been drinking, and began to cough wildly.

"Summer" Their father said.

"Carl" Summer replied.

"Is William near you? I'd like to speak to both of you."

"It's Will, not William." Summer said, putting her phone on speaker and setting it down on the table. "Will's here. You're on speaker." Summer stated.

"Hi, dad." Will said.

"Hello, Will." Carl replied.

"You wanted to speak with us?" Will asked.

"Yes. I was wondering if you both would like to attend a masquerade ball for my workplace. It would be a family bonding experience." Carl explained.

"Family bonding" Summer scoffed.

"Is there a problem, Summer?"

"Yes, Carl. And it's you. You're the problem. You only call when you need a favor from Will or I anymore. You don't call on holidays, or even our birthdays. You can't expect us to be willing to attend some masquerade ball just so you can have the image of a healthy family. When all you really did for your family was leave."

Summer sat back in her chair, crossing her arms. Carl said nothing, too shocked by his daughters outburst. Will stared at Summer with sorrow. Carl couldn't see the tears in her eyes through the phone line.

"Summer, I'm trying to better myself. I want to have healthy relationships with you both." Carl insisted.

"When's my birthday?" Summer asked.

"That's easy. August thirteenth." Carl replied.