chapter eight ⇾ funeral blues

Summer touched up her makeup as Mr

Summer touched up her makeup as Mr. Branson rambled about Vikings and whatever the lesson was about for the day. Jake watched her, cringing as she brought the mascara wand to her eyelashes.

"You're gonna lose an eye." He remarked.

Better than my dignity." Summer said, reaching over and poking Jake's stomach.

She was referring to the precious night. She and Jake had been out to dinner, and Jake had to go to the bathroom. While he was in the room, a very high pitched scream echoed through the restaurant, followed by a horrified looking Jake walking out of the bathroom. Summer choked on her salad when he told her there was a cockroach in the bathroom.

Jake rolled his eyes and grabbed his phone as it went off. Summer set down her mascara, doing the same.

Before they even looked at the messages on their screens, they heard the rest of the classes phones going off. Summer looked up to Jake.
He shrugged, looking at the message on his screen.
Jakes eyes widened and shot to Will, who sat next to Summer.
Summer furrowed her eyebrows, looking at the message herself.
On the screen was a gif of Emma's first time. Summer looked to her brother. He was tense.

A boy that sat behind Will leaned forward and showed him his phone screen, saying something in his ear.

Will shot up from his seat, turning to the boy. "Shut the hell up!" He yelled.

"Will, stop!" Emma yelled, standing up from her own seat. "That's enough!"

"Will, back off." Bransons voice boomed. "Sit down."

Will ignored his directions, still standing. Summer leaned to the side, grabbing her brothers wrist.
Will looked down at her and she smiled, nodding. Will sighed loudly, sitting back down. Nobody was surprised that Will had listened to Summer so well. The two had a strong bond. Their dad never came around unless he needed something. That fact made them lean onto each other for support. They were best friends. They'd do anything for each other. Will and Summer were supposed to be twins, but their mother ended up having a delayed interval birth, and Summer was born around a week after Will.

"Emma, are you okay?" Branson asked.

"No" Emma replied. "I'm not okay. I know that our thoughts are with the friends that we've lost. And I just want to remind everyone that there is a candle light vigil downtown tonight at seven, and I hope that all of you will make it." Emma stated before quietly taking her seat.

Summer leaned over to her brother. "Are you okay?" She asked.

Will nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." He said, nudging her shoulder.