Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

New Life Ahead

Life hadn’t been that too difficult for Toni and Lloyd. They had gotten used doing all the household chores. They hadn’t bought new clothes, hadn’t spent too much on leisure activities…they hadn’t lived the extravagant life they had experienced before.   Their life before their parents’ death was really very much different from their life thereafter but they had managed to endure everything.

Toni and Lloyd had gotten into a home  business. Toni’s baked products had been loved by Lloyd’s officemates when he had offered them some during snack time. His officemates suggested that he brought more and they would just have to pay.

Toni had also prepared salads, pastries, delicacies and desserts.

They had already been supplying a number of office canteens and school canteens with everything. Demands had been increasing each passing week.

Toni and Lloyd were making the orders from Friday evenings until Saturday afternoons. They were delivering their goods on Sunday afternoons.

They had already purchased two much bigger turbo ovens in order to meet their orders.

Time had flown really so fast. In just a month and a half, Toni, Sam and Pam were to graduate from their respective degrees in college.

Toni had really been so busy in balancing her school activities (thesis defense, thesis writing and working as editor-in-chief of the official school paper) with all of her household activities (doing household chores and working on the home business).

But through all of these, her friends and Lloyd had always been there to give her all the kinds of support she needed.

That day was an extremely tiring day for her. It was Friday. In the morning, she had an interview with the most popular basketball varsity player in the university. Missi Towers, the official men basketball team of the country’s capital for FBA, had just drafted Richmond Villanueva as their rookie player for the coming basketball season to open on the first Tuesday of March. Richmond had been courting her since she was eighteen. He had really been so persistent on courting her.

The interview went like –

Toni asked, “So, how does it feel to be chosen as a rookie player for Missi Towers? This is not just any school-based basketball. This is FBA.”

Richmond said, “It really feels great but it would be much more delightful if you would already give me your sweet yes.”

Toni insisted, “Richmond, let’s just focus on the interview.”

The basketball player agreed, “Okay.”

Toni continued the interview, “The opening will be on February 27, just weeks from now, and the first game will be on March 2. So, what about your degree?”

Richmond answered, “I’m already done with the thesis defense and I’m just working now on the final manuscript. I’m graduating with you this March.”

Toni responded, “That’s really nice. So would there be any other career plans aside from playing on professional basketball?”

Richmond said, “Of course, I will take the licensure examination for civil engineers. I also want to establish my own firm but I guess playing for FBA would be my top priority for the meantime.”

Toni asked, “Are your parents happy about this?”

Richmond replied, “Yes, they are! They have always supported me in everything I do.”