Chapter 5

I stop at the door of my apartment and lean against it, taking deep breaths.

     "Woah. Are you alright?" I open my eyes to see Jeremy standing directly in front of me. I pull myself up and look at him.

     "Yeah... I'm fine. Just a little shocked the way I handled that shift." I turn around and unlock the door, stepping inside and gesturing for Jeremy to follow. He does and we go into the living room.

     "What do you mean?" He asks once we sit down. I let out a breath then leaned back in my chair and started talking.

     "I mean that I just got so nonchalant about everything. I don't even know why I did, but I did." I go over in my mind what happened, how after Bonnie got too close I seemed to just shut down.

     "That's bad, especially with the job you have. Vienna, if you don't keep on alert you could die! The only reason I survived is because... " He drifts off and goes silent, making me look back at Jeremy with my curiosity peaked.

     "Because..." I draw out the word and watch him intently, waiting for a response. He glances at me quickly then relaxes his body with a loud sigh. He seems to shake it off and turns to me with a small, almost sad smile on his face.

     "It doesn't matter. You just need to stay awake and focused; no daydreaming in this job. Got it?" He loses the smile quickly and stares into my eyes. 'This is the most serious I've ever seen him...' I nod slowly in return, a little surprised at his sudden mood shift.

     "Yeah... I got it." He softens his expression.

     "Good. I just don't want to see you get hurt..." He leans over and wraps his arms around me suddenly. I tense up in response before returning the hug. He tightens his embrace and stays that way for what seems like minutes.

     "Um... Jeremy?" He shifts but doesn't let go. After relaxing again, he finally gives a small response in the form of humming.

     "Can you let go please? You're starting to crush me." He releases me quickly and sits back. I notice that his cheeks have gotten quite red as he looks everywhere but at me.

     "Oh! Sorry." He apologizes. I giggle at his reaction and wave it off.

     "It's fine. Just... try not to crush me, alright?" He becomes even redder, if possible, and nods. We sit in silence for a couple minutes before Jeremy gets up.

     "I-I should go... My shift is going to be starting soon." He shuffles his feet slightly while watching me for a response.

     "Already?" He nods and we make our way over to the front door, "Alright then... I guess I'll see you later." He slips on his shoes then turns to face me.

     "Yup. I'll see you tomorrow. Don't forget though, you need to stay alert. Don't let your mind wander. Do you understand?" By this point he has grabbed onto my shoulders and is practically shaking me.

     "I understand, Jeremy. Don't worry." He smiles before pulling me into a quick hug which I return in earnest. He lets go and slips out the door with a wave of his hand. I lean against the door frame and watch as he walks into the elevator. 'I'll see you tomorrow. Hopefully...'

     I head back inside and turn on the TV to watch, trying to calm myself after the recent events that had taken place. Several hours pass by with myself flicking through various channels until the drain from staying up late takes its toll. I get up and go for a quick snack and bathroom break before spotting another bouquet sitting on my counter. 'Again?' I finish doing what I need to before investigating the new edition to my counter.