Delicate.

"I never realized just how delicate you are."

I was sitting in math class the following Monday, waiting for Rain. I didn't get to see him since the party, and I was missing him. Rachelle was sitting in his usual spot in front of me, popping her gum and reading a magazine. Some girl walked by and kicked over my books and bumped into Rachelle.

"Watch it," Rachelle snapped. Her and the girl exchanged menacing glances.

"Do you know her?" I asked.

"Yeah, she's Debbie Lebowitz. She's the biggest slut and bitch in school. She's a cheerleader, dating a football player. She hates everyone, except for boys. She loves men a lot. Well, she probably doesn't like you now, though."

"Why? I've never done anything to her."

"She saw you and Rain together at the party," she explained. "And she likes Rain."

"Oh...has she ever been with Rain?"

"Nope, and that's what pisses her off. If she had slept with him then she wouldn't care. She wants things she can't have, and now that Rain is unavailable she wants him."

"She won't get me, though," Rain said, startling me as he came up behind me. He sat in the desk next to me, moving it closer. "I don't mess with girls like that, even if I were single I wouldn't talk to her."

"She's not going to do anything is she?"

"No, and if she does then Rachelle can kick her ass."

"Better believe it!" Rachelle exclaimed. "Nobody messes with my friends."

I laughed, feeling really good at being considered one of her friends. I knew I was, but it felt nice when she actually said so. I ended up passing notes with Rain the entire class period, which was fun because I had never done so before and I thought it was entertaining trying to not get caught. Branching out and breaking rules was interesting, and quite exhilarating.

"I think I might tell Rachelle and Theo about me," I wrote.

"About your health thing?"

"Yeah. They won't get grossed out right?"

"Of course not. They're your friends."

"I don't know how to, though."

"I'll help instigate it."

"Okay. They won't tell anyone else right?"

"Of course not."

"Good."

"Mr. Valentine, are you passing notes?" asked the teacher.

"Absolutely not," he lied, clutching the note.

"Give me the note, Rain."

"What note?"

"The one in your hand."

"It's not in my hand." He then proceeded to shove the note down his pants, throwing his hands up. "I promise I have never nor will I ever pass notes."

"That's what I thought."

Rachelle was shaking as she tried to hold her laughter, and I just looked at him like he was absolutely insane, and he really is insane. Later on at lunch, Micah, Rachelle, Theo, Rain, and myself sat outside to eat. It was getting colder, but it was one of those falls where it was still nice to sit outside if you had a jacket. The school had lots of trees by it, and so it was nice to see all the different colors. They had raked all of the leaves up into large piles and so we were able to sit in the grass without any leaves clinging onto us.