Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

Peeta stands up suddenly and walks briskly back towards the open window. His movement jerks me out of my paralyzed state."Peeta!" I cry out. My voice reminds me of the way it sounded the day I screamed his name in the first games, when I realized we could win together. "Peeta, please," I say quietly. "I can't... I can't..." my voice quivers and I silently curse myself for my weakness. "I can't do it without you," I murmur.  "I can't do anything without you," I say so quietly I'm not even sure he hears me. When he comes and puts his hand on my back, I know he heard. And when he places his lips to the side of my forehead I know he feels the same way. "Come here," he says in a voice that reminds me so much of the old Peeta I cry out again. He leads me to the bed where we both sit down. He sits a good distance away from me. I wish secretly he was closer, but I don't know how dangerous it would be for him. "Katniss," he says, keeping his voice steady. "Every day, from here on out, will be a fight for us. And I understand if it's not worth it to you. I understand if you decide to leave," his voice cracks and he lowers his eyes. I don't know yet, the words and touches that trigger the highjack for him, but I hold me breath and reach out to touch his face. "I'm staying," I say firmly. "Always."