Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

Peeta comes back over after lunchtime. This time I surprise him with lunch. I went out hunting after I cleaned up and spent some time thinking of how I would preserve my memories so I never end up without my memory like the man in the mine. Now I'm assembling turkey sandwiches on Peeta's homemade bread. When he comes in the door he has a real smile on his face and when he sees me it widens. He comes up behind me and looks like he's going to hug me, but at the last mintue he holds out his hands for plates. "What can I help with?" he asks warmly. I hide my disappointment from him not hugging me and smile.  "Just sit down and let me serve you," I say. Once we're both seated and eating I ask Peeta how Haymitch was. "Just as stubborn and emotionally stunted as ever," he grins.  "But not as drunk, so I have no complaints." I smile too. I know how hard Haymitch is trying to stop drinking. We really haven't spent very much time together, even though he was the one who came back with me to District 12 after the revolution. If I was guessing, Peeta is probably the breath of fresh air Haymitch needed. I know Peeta was my breath of fresh air. "Whatare you thinking about?" Peeta asks slicing through my thoughts. I smile thoughtfully. He always knows. "Memories," I say softly. The emotion in my voice grates on my heart. Maybe one day I'll be a little bit better at expressing my emotions. After all, there was a day when I couldn't even admit I needed to work on that. "Everything around me reminds me of that last few years, and even though every memory isn't good, I never want them to be taken away from me. They're a part of me," I say. Peeta nods.  "I don't want to lose them either. Again," he says quietly.  "Peeta," I say apologetically. He shakes his head. "No, don't be sorry. I know what I've lost, and I've gotten so much of it back. Let me help you and I think it'll help us both," he says. I smile. "That's exactly what I want." And I reach across the table and take his hand. He squeezes my fingers. Maybe this is the first step to us finding each other again.