Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Peeta turns and smiles warmly. "Hi," he says. "Hi," I say smiling. I love the feel of the smile on my lips. I've missed smiling. "Hungry?" Peeta asks with wink. I laugh lightly and nod. The laughter feels even better than the smile. "Sit down and I'll serve you this morning," he says, turning down some of the burners on the stove. I sit down at the table, instead of on the counter like I often do when Greasy Sae comes. I fold my hands neatly in my lap and chew awkwardly on the inside of my cheek as I wait for Peeta to serve me. I'm not used to having this much fuss made over me. Peeta comes and sets a glass of juice, some bacon slices, some scrambled eggs, and a slice of fresh homemade bread in front of me. "It looks delicious Peeta," I say with a grin. I take a small taste of each thing and laugh. Peeta's face tenses. "Is something wrong?" he asks worriedly. I shake my head quickly, noticing I didn't braid my hair this morning. "No, it's just all so delicious. And I was thinking back to how we never could have eaten like this a few years ago." Peeta sits down across from me and rests his elbows on the table. "Ahhh... So the games and the revolution was just the price we paid for good food," he says with a chuckle. I stiffen up immediately though.  "It doesn't hurt you to talk about..." I trail away. The light moment from earlier is gone.  "Katniss..." Peeta begins. He takes a deep breath. "Tell me everything," I say quietly.