Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

I'm sitting on the counter in my kitchen eating some soup. Greasy Sae is stirring a pot on the stove. Usually I'm not the kind of person to make a big fuss over things, but today I can't help myself. Maybe it's because of Peeta's primrose bush. I'm not sure, but I do stop eating long enough to say, "Greasy Sae?" She looks up at my wearily. I clear my throat awkwardly. "I wanted to say, um, thanks. Thanks for everything you've done since I got back." I quickly look back to my soup bowl. But I hear a growling sort of sound and look up to see Greasy Sae laughing.  "You aren't very good with appreciation, are you girly?" I blush and look into my soup bowl.  "I have some news you'd probably be interested in," she says as she chops up some radishes and tosses them into the soup pot. She doesn't wait for me to ask. "That boy you used to like stopped by my house today." My mind jumps and my heart slams into my chest. "Peeta?" I half yelp. I need to know everything I can about him. "No... Gale," she says. My heart falls. "Oh," I say, trying to perk up. I should be at least a little excited to hear about Gale. After all, I don't know what happened to him after I came back to District 12. But somehow, I can only think about the boy with the bread.