Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

I must have fallen asleep because suddenly I'm waking up and the sunlight is streaming in through my window. The window. Last night Peeta Mellark climbed Into my window and for a few moments in time we found our way back to each other the way we used to be. But just as soon as that thought finds its way to warm my heart, another thought with icy fingers of fear and sorrow slice through.  It will NEVER be the way it used to be. How can it when Peeta Is constantly fighting himself over me? I think about my own battles. I battle my mind and the memories every night through nightmares. Surprisingly I didn't have one last night. It's unusual because I have them almost constantly without Peeta there with me. Maybe that's what kept the dreams away last night. Peeta's brief visit was enough.  I sit up and stretch in bed. I see the curtains billowing by my bed and I go to toss them aside. When I do I see Peeta's house in the Victor's Village where I live. I see the outline of his body moving about in the kitchen. He's already settled back to his home. Already baking. I hop out of bed and quickly dress. I slide into some soft brown pants and a black jacket, but then think better of it and change. I try to craft an outfit that Peeta has never seen before so that it won't bring back any painful memories. Clumsily I piece together pants and tops. My heart suddenly aches for Cinna. I miss him so much. When my fingers graze over the soft fabric of my clothes I think back to his warm smile and skillful eye. He'd know how to help Peeta and I. And he'd know how to help me find an outfit. So I focus on Cinna for just a part of the morning. If I can channel Cinna into my thoughts on my wardrobe, maybe I can channel his wisdom and kindness thoughtful the other problems in my life. Finally I decide on a brown shirt and some dark green pants. Greasy Sae brought these over for me a few weeks ago, so Peeta probably hasn't seen them. After I dress I go downstairs. Before my feet reach the floor, I smell the sizzling of bacon in the frying pan. My stomach rumbles and I expect to see Greasy Sae in the kitchen, whipping up breakfast. But when I turn the corner I forget my stomach. Because Peeta is standing in my kitchen.