Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

            “Hey Ariella, is it alright if I leave work in about an hour?” I asked, standing in the doorway that separated the kitchen and the main room of the bakery. Ariella turned around, with her arms crossed and looked me in the eye, before scanning me from head to toe.

            “Why?” she said, somewhat glaring at me. I tried to think of a reason that Ariella would believe, and also still allow me to leave.

            “Um… Well I just thought I could explore the town, maybe look around shops. I need to get to know the town, and I’d like to do it before the path crowds up.” I replied, fumbling with the corner of my jacket I was wearing. I couldn’t look her in the eye, she would probably know I was lying if I did.

            “Hmmm… Fine. But only if you have five loaves of bread cooking by the time you leave. If you don’t finish, you can’t leave at all.” Ariella stated, turning her body back to the register.

            “Okay, thanks.” I turned around and walked towards the counter to get to work making bread. I had finally decided on going to meet the mystery person, I figured he might have information about my family. I hadn’t realized how much I actually missed them, they weren’t on my mind much, but I want to meet them again. Even if I have no memory them, I want to know I have a family, people always there for me. I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now, if I had a daughter who disappeared one day… I don’t know what I would do.

            Of course, I would also love to have my memories back. Maybe memories could be triggered by meeting someone.. I don’t really know.

            *****

            “Bye, I’ll see you at home later.” I waved goodbye to Ariella, and Malachi who had arrived just minutes ago. I walked out the door, and that was when I realized, I actually had no idea where I was going. I knew I had to go to the North Gate, but I didn’t even know where that was. I only had an hour to figure it out.

            I scanned the path, there were few people on the path, but there was a lot of sound, coming from the inside of various buildings. I spotted a guard that was positioned about a hundred feet away, and so I began walking towards him.

            “Excuse me?” I asked politely to the guard as I approached him.

            “Yes? How can I help you?” he replied.

            “I’m kinda new around here, I was just wondering where the North Gate to this city was?” I asked.

            “Oh it’s not far at all. Would you like me to escort you there?” the guard questioned.

            “Sure, that would be great. Thanks.” the guard started walking farther away from my original point at the bakery, and I followed. We turned around the first right turn, and kept walking straight. I could now see a large wall in the distance between several buildings.

            “So what brought you to the Vale?” he asked as he continued to show the way towards the gate.

            “Well, I couldn’t really tell you. Nearly two weeks ago I was found in a forest in really bad shape, I went unconscious and next thing I knew I was laying in a hospital bed with no memories.” I explained, as we turned another corner. I could now see the wall directly down the path about a hundred yards or so, along with a gate.

            “Well that’s a very interesting story, I’d love to hear more but I have to return to my station, and we have reached your destination. It’s just directly down this path, not far at all. Goodbye, I’ll see you around.” the guard said, as he turned his body around and began walking back towards the way we came together. I watched him for a short while, before I turned around and headed towards the gate.