Chapter 4

Chapter 4

            Ariella continued walking at a fast pace, too fast for me to keep up without jogging.

“Hey! Open the gates!” Ariella yelled up to the top of the wall where guards were standing, awaiting anybody to come that would need the gate opened for them.

            Seconds after Ariella requested for the gates to be opened, they opened, screeching as the old hinges scratched against metal. The moment the gate was open big enough for her body to fit through, Ariella rushed in between the gates, me following close behind.

            “Clara, is it?” Ariella said, at last slowing down her pace and walking normally. I nodded back, as I took a step forward to be on her side.

            “Well I haven’t formally introduced myself yet, so my name’s Ariella, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” she said, her gray eyes staring into mine, as she extended her arm out. I returned the gesture and held out my hand to shake her’s, “So here’s the plan. I’m going to show you around town tomorrow, and if you would like you can try out working at my bakery. It’s getting pretty late though, so I’m going to take you over to my house to spend the night.” Ariella explained, as we walked down a very wide path that branched off of the main courtyard in the town, that was placed just in front of the castle gates.

            People pushed as we tried to walk by, the paths were crowded despite the fact the paths were so wide. The streets were far more crowded than they were in the village I was in the hospital. It was difficult trying to maneuver around people, and keep an eye on Ariella so I didn’t lose her, since I was so short and everyone around me was tall. When I finally took my eyes off Ariella after catching up to her, I looked around. People were everywhere, and I noticed something. Almost everyone had the pointy ears. I would no doubt need to ask Ariella about this, she would know, since she did have the pointy ears.

            “Clara! Over here!” Ariella yelled, I hadn’t noticed I had drifted away from Ariella. I scanned my eyes around the crowd, looking for Ariella in the dark. It was almost completely dark outside, so it was difficult spotting her. I finally saw her standing in front of two story stone and wooden buildings. The buildings in this town were much higher quality than they were in the village. I squeezed myself through the crowd, repeatedly saying “Excuse me, sorry.” as I pushed my way in front of people. When I finally reached Ariella, she was standing in front of one of the larger buildings. As soon as I got close to her, she started walking towards a small staircase that was against the side of the building. I followed close behind, as we both ran up the staircase that lead up to a small porch with a wooden door on it.

            Ariella laid her hand on the doorknob and twisted it, opening the door.

            “This is my house, my brother and me live here.” she explained as we walked in. It was a fairly small house, the entry room had wooden walls and unpolished wood floors. The room was furnished with a table and a few wooden stools around it, and there was a small archway that went into another room. A small hallway went down on the opposite side of the room, that lead to three door, which was more than likely the bedrooms.

            As I scanned the house, a young adult boy walked around the corner of the halls. He had brown eyes, similar to Ariella’s and gray eyes, just like her’s. This man must be Ariella’s brother.

            “Hey Ariell- Oh hello, my name is Malachi.  Is this your friend Arie?” the man said.

            “Not so much of a friend, the Queen wants me to show her around town and give her a job and a place to stay. She’s kinda new here.” Ariella explained.