Chapter 15

CHAPTER 15

            I stood frozen, staring at the old man as warm tears ran down my cheeks. This couldn’t be happening! I would rather do so many other things than have to attempt to battle the Queen. I almost lost Malachi and Ariella, while I just stood there watching it all happen! I don’t want to be so close to losing them again… but if I don’t battle her, than I will lose them anyways. I will lose everybody, everybody will lose their lives because of me if I don’t do this, despite how much I don’t want to.

            I pulled myself together, and stopped the tears as well, “When do we leave?” I asked, trying to remain strong.

            “We have to find the Queen first of all.” Malachi said.

            “What happened to the Queen? How did she escape?” the old man questioned.

            “She had a cloak hanging on the wall when we were fighting her. When Clara’s sister, Aria, came in and starting fighting the Queen, the Queen grabbed the cloak and swung it around herself and she disappeared into thin air, the cloak just fell to the ground as if she was never there in the first place.” Malachi explained to the old man.

            “Ah. A cloak of invisibility no doubt. She didn’t teleport, she simply was able to become invisible for a fixed amount of time. Cloaks of invisibility can allow someone to remain invisible for up to three hours. Since she is rich and able to access anything, there is no doubt she has the best she could get. She simply was able to remain invisible long enough to leave her castle and get out of the District. She is more than likely hiding somewhere out in the forest. Trolls actually get along with the Queen, and are on good terms with her, so she has nothing to fear when she goes in. Only other people have to fear for their lives in the forest.” The old man explained, “The difficult part is finding just where she is hiding out.”

            “How do we find it, it could take days, even years to find it if we have no idea where to start.” Ariella said.

            “Well, you are very lucky that I have a very good idea where she would be staying.” The old man said, with a large grin on his face. Ariella, Malachi, and me all looked at each other before looking at the old man again. He was staring back at us, grinning from ear to ear, and slightly nodding his head while his arms were crossed.

            “Well… are you not going to tell us?” Ariella said, clearly growing impatient with the old man.

            “Well , many of you know the story of the Queen when she was young. How she lived in a humble cottage that was burnt down by trolls and all her family was killed* by the trolls. Well, the Queen also had a tree house she went to regularly. Many people have looked for the tree house, just to see where the Queen spent many of her hours as a child. Nobody has ever succeeded to find it, but I actually have been mapping out possible places it could be located. I have known for many years that this very rebellion would occur and I figured she would retreat and hide out in a place nobody would be able to find. I can give you guys my maps, but I surely will not be able to come with you. I am too old and feeble to come, I would slow you down. Just take a few photographs for me, or bring me a souvenir.” The old man explained, smiling at his lost comment.

            “Of course, I will bring you something and take photographs if I can get a hand on a camera.” Malachi said, smiling back at the man.

            “We can leave the morning after we finish figuring out our plans and examining the maps. We should start tonight. Thank you so much Charlie.” Ariella said kindly.