-fifth-

Rewind

"JaeBeommie! Your wife is still here, aren't you excited?"

JB.....JaeBeom....

Workaholic...

I feel dumb as shit.

We made eye contact and JB simply nodded at me, putting his bags in the crate near the door. He looked angry so I didn't bother saying anything to him and watched him trudge towards the living room.

"Im JaeBeom," his mother called with a severe tone. The look in her eyes even made me sit up a little straighter and she wasn't even looking in my direction.

He turned around with a sigh, baggy eyes and dry lips.

"Have you been drinking enough water? You look terrible."

"Thanks. I'm flattered." He threw me a sideways glance then looked back at his mother. "I'm sorry, I'm just exhausted."

"I understand. But you could at least acknowledge our guest. She is taking care of your son."

He looked back at me with a small furrow in his brow and nodded politely. "I'm sorry I couldn't greet you properly, but I need to rest. Tomorrow's my first day off in a while."

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. I understand. It was nice...."

Before I could finish my sentence he was gone.

"...seeing you again."

Mrs. Lim sucked her teeth, waving a hand at her son. "Don't mind him, Katya. He's so annoying when he's tired. Why don't you stay the night?"

******

JB

A weight that could only be my son's small frame landed on me and I grunted, eyes still closed.

"JaeJunnie," I grunted, voice rough from sleep. I squinted an eye open at the messy haired toddler smiling down at me.

"Appa, Mommy is here!"

I forced a smile and touseled his hair, tapping my cheek with a finger. "What about Appa's good morning kiss?"

He gasped before leaning down and leaving a smacking kiss near my nose. When he pulled back he gasped even louder, eyebrows raised. "Momma's kiss!"

I sat up and watched him jump off of the bed eagerly and he grabbed my foot, bouncing up and down. "Hurry! Hurry!"

It was cute but at the same time a nuisance that things turned out like this. He was so determined to find his mother and I was somewhat happy to see him so excited but it was also that part of my past that still bothered me. I never wanted to hide anything from the kid- no child deserves that from their parents- but the split into just last year I would tell him this grand story before bed every night about a prince meeting his princess and building a kingdom. I guess I shouldn't have embelished the tale for him so much but his eyes lit up and I'd do anything to keep that spark lit for him.

Even let some random girl play house with him while I work to earn his time.

JaeJun had escalated to a long crooked note that built up in volume and screech until I grunted and stretched, throwing the blanket back and slowly standing from the bed.

"Momma is asleep, hurry, kiss her!" he exclaimed, pulling on my fingers and trying to force me out of the room.

This kid... "You don't just kiss women awake, kid. Consent is king."